Tuesday 1 November 2016

So the king sent a third captain with his fifty men. This third captain went up and fell on his knees before Elijah. “Man of God,” he begged, “please have respect for my life and the lives of these fifty men, your servants! – 2 Kings 1:13




Today’s Scripture Reading (November 1, 2016): 2 Kings 1

The letter was dated January 20, 1993. It wasn’t mailed, just left sitting on a desk. I am sure that it was never supposed to be made public – and yet it was. It was written by a man named George and addressed to one named Bill – in North America, these are fairly common names. The letter was filled with respect - and it changes the way that we view the idea of transition.

            Dear Bill,

            When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know that you will feel that, too.

            I wish you great happiness here, I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

            There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

            You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

            Your success is now our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you.

            Good Luck –

                                                            George/

Some may have wondered about the good will that seems to exist between the Bush’s and their political rivals – especially the Clintons and the Obamas. But just reading this note from George Bush, Sr. pushes all that away. While they campaign hard, they also reacted with grace, respect, and honor when the time came to pass the baton. That last line in the letter always seems to hit me hard – “I am rooting hard for you.” Right now, it is not something that I can imagine either Democrats or Republicans being able to say about their political rivals in the current election. Yet, when the dust settles, in a democratic country, it needs to be something that we are all able to say about those who have won the right to lead us.

Three times the king sends an envoy to Elijah. But it is only the last one that treats Elijah with the honor that he is due him as the God chosen Prophet of Israel. I can imagine the first two times the men came to take Elijah to the king the words “Man of God” came out sarcastically. But the third time, they were heartfelt. Maybe the two scorch marks on the ground helped the third leader to respond appropriately to Elijah, but it was the third man that was able to get the job done that he had been asked to do.

Amazing things happen when we are willing to respond to others with respect – even across deep political divides. And as Christians, this is the respect that we are supposed to be able to give to the people in our lives – and it is not just given to our friends, but to our enemies as well.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Kings 2

No comments:

Post a Comment