Thursday 17 March 2016

Remember me, LORD, when you show favor to your people, come to my aid when you save them … - Psalm 106:4



Today’s Scripture Reading (March 17, 2016): Psalm 106

Growing up, I used to like to watch a sitcom called “Cheers.” I mean, who couldn’t fall in love with this band of misfits – but maybe even more importantly, who couldn’t identify with them. There was no place else in the world where Norm Peterson could have walked into the room to the cheer of “Norm” from the rest of the patrons. Norm was a nobody, except when he was at “Cheers.” No one else would bother to sit and listen to Cliff Clavin spout off his endless list of facts, except at “Cheers.” All “Cheers” fans cried over the death of Coach Pantusso, and the real life death of the actor who played him – Nicholas Colasanto. I still remember the episode where Cliff is exposing on the original use of a tie, to keep food from staining your shirt, and in that moment Coach Pantusso looks down at his own tie and replies “you mean, they are thinking about changing that?” Ernie Pantusso and Nicholas Colasanto will always remain fondly remembered by Cheers fans. Over twenty years after Colasanto’s death, there are still people who will raise their glass to toast his memory.    

Maybe it is the universal nightmare, and the highest hope - to not be forgotten, but rather remembered. I can’t imagine what it is like to live with an Alzheimer’s patient and wonder from day to day whether or not they will remember who you are. I remember one of the last times that I saw my grandfather. My grandpa was a big and strong man. To be honest, as a kid, his imposing stature was almost frightening. And yet, he was also lovable. My grandfather died at the age of 88, and during his last few years, he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. One of the last times that I saw him, he was living in a nursing home about 250 miles south of where my family and I live. And we were passing through his town. I don’t remember if we even told anyone that we were coming, but we couldn’t pass through without seeing grandma and grandpa – two people who had played an immensely important role in my life. But I also have to admit that part me was scared. I mean, would grandpa even know who we were.

We entered the home and quickly found my grandfather and grandmother in his room. And he looked up, and tears filled his eyes, and then he called us by name. He remembered. And in that moment, nothing else was of any importance. Grandpa knew my name.

This idea forms that starting point for David’s prayer. Lord, Remember me. When you come to the aid of all of these other people, don’t leave me off of the list. And it probably reminds us of what might have been David’s fear – that he wouldn’t be remembered. For us, the fear is almost unbelievable. How could the one who is arguably the best remembered of all of the kings of Israel ever be forgotten? But that is not the way it works. The fear of being forgotten is not measured by how great we might be. It is the universal fear.

And it is the strength of that little bar named “Cheers.” We all need a place where “everybody knows your name.” And we all need the assurance that God is not going to forget us.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 17

No comments:

Post a Comment