Thursday 19 December 2013

All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. – Isaiah 47:13


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 19, 2013): Isaiah 47

I don’t like horoscopes. I know quite a few people that seem to never leave the house without checking their stars, but it has never made a whole lot of sense to me. I am also not big on fortune tellers – or fortune cookies for that matter. My problem with all of this is that it feels a little too much like I am waiting for life to happen to me. Either I have a tall, dark, and handsome stranger in my future or not (being a guy I am not sure what I would do with one of those – but ladies, maybe you can tell me why you are all meeting the same guy), but either way I am just not convinced that any of it is written in the stars. My desire is to pursue life and chase it down, not to passively wait for life to happen to me.

The real message of Isaiah seems to be that Babylon has become complacent. There seems to have been a change in the way that the Empire is being run from the days of the proactive Nebuchadnezzar. The current method of defending the empire seems to have been to depend on the magicians of the nation to search out the stars and predict the moves of the enemy, and then further depending on their magic to defeat the attacking enemy. All without having to expend any other kind of physical energy in their own defence.

But Isaiah reminds Israel that the strategy is not going to work. Babylon’s practice of depending on their stargazers to tell them what was going to happen in the future and a magical defence of the empire was about to fail. All of their chasing after astrologers, and stargazers, and all of their readings of the monthly reports of their fortune tellers was going to accomplish nothing except to make them tired. In the end, Babylon was still going to fall.

But all of this might add a bit of an explanation concerning the strange night that Babylon did fall. On that night, Belshazzar, the prince who had been left in charge of the city, would be enjoying himself at a drunken feast with his friends while the gates of the city were left undefended. And the reason for the city’s lack of preparedness might simply be that the prince had placed a higher trust in his magicians and astrologers than he had in his advisors. Even though we know that Belshazzer had received numerous reports concerning the advancing Persian army, he chose to ignore them placing his trust in the stars instead of in his military.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Isaiah 48

No comments:

Post a Comment