Saturday 3 February 2024

He will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' – Matthew 25:45

Today's Scripture Reading (February 3, 2024): Matthew 25

Sometimes, I feel I need to admit my bias. I have acknowledged that I am a reluctant pacifist. My struggle is that while I believe in peace and know that peace is the path that Jesus taught, what bothers me is this: How can I sit here in my office and say that we will not help those in need because of an accident of geography? It is easy to sit in my home in peace when the nearest conflict is across an ocean, and the closest I have to get to the battle is when watching the news on my television screen.

I understand Jesus's instructions about turning the other cheek, but at some point, it seems apparent that I must do something. Nothing is not a viable option, and I feel that that is not just my opinion; Jesus instructed his followers to go and do something. If I am not willing to pick up a gun and go and fight for the least of these, and I am not saying that that is in any way the proper Christian response, I have to understand that sitting on the sideline is also not a Christian option. I have to do something. I have to find ways to support nonviolent intervention. I must be willing to fund people or stand in the gap. I must be willing to let the cheek that is being slapped be mine.

I also believe that the form of the action might change. There is an old black and white movie that starred Cary Grant called "Sgt. York." The film tells the true story of a Tennessee-born man who was drafted into the army. York started as a conscientious objector. The movie describes his objection this way;

Alvin York: You see I believe in the bible and I'm a-believin' that this here life we're a-livin' is something the lord done give us and we got to be a-livin' it the best we can, and I'm a-figurin' that killing other folks ain't no part of what he was intendin' for us to be a-doin' here.

But Alvin York changed his mind, kind of, when he got to Europe. Sargeant Alvin York received the Medal of Honor for leading an attack on a German machine gun nest, taking 35 machine guns, killing at least 25 enemy soldiers, and capturing 132 German soldiers all by himself.

Again, in the movie, York makes this statement to a Major when questioned about whether he had changed his pacifist ways.

Alvin: Well, I'm as much agin' killin' as ever, sir. But it was this way, Colonel. When I started out, I felt just like you said, but when I hear them machine guns a-goin', and all them fellas are droppin' around me... I figured them guns was killin' hundreds, maybe thousands, and there weren't nothin' anybody could do, but to stop them guns. And that's what I done.

Maj. Buxton: Do you mean to tell me that you did it to save lives?

Alvin: Yes sir, that was why.

Maj. Buxton: [amazed] Well, York, what you've just told me is the most extraordinary thing of all!

Again, you can agree or disagree with Alvin York's reasoning, but he remained an objector to the war even after the incident. But in this moment, this was the most logical response to an impossible situation. Alvin York believed that his action on the battlefield was in defense of "the least of these." And at a time when his colleagues were being killed, York believed that he couldn't stand on the sideline; he had to do something.

I don't know the answers to some of these questions, but an attitude of inaction seems to be outside of what God would want from us. We must do something; we are the army of God, his hands and feet on this planet, which means that we can't sit on the side of the action as if we are watching a baseball game at the local park. Whatever we feel God is asking of us, we have to do something to defend "the least of these."

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Mark 12

 

No comments:

Post a Comment