Friday 2 February 2024

Do you see all these things?" he asked. "Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down." – Matthew 24:2

Today's Scripture Reading (February 2, 2024): Matthew 24

I left a job just over a decade ago to start something new. I had to do many things as I prepared to leave my job, but one of the surprising details concerned my laptop. Technically, the laptop belonged to my soon-to-be former employer. But I use my computer a lot; in fact, it is hard to remember that there was a day when I didn't own a laptop or even a computer.  Now, I seem to be on it constantly.  But the truth is that this computer, my pride and joy not that much earlier, was now average, or even less than average. My former employer was willing to sell the laptop to me, which would have been a help because it was set up the way I liked. I also wouldn't have to port the information over to a new computer, but the amount they wanted for it was more than upgrading to a new, more current computer.  I don't really blame them for the money they wanted, but buying it didn't make sense when I could get the next-generation laptop for half the price.

As I struggled with my laptop dilemma, it was a significant reminder to me of how perishable the things are with which we surround ourselves.  There is very little that has any permanence in our lives.  We struggle to buy these things, but we know they are becoming obsolete even as we walk out of the store with our new purchases. So, the only conclusion that we can come to is that there is nothing that carries any permanence in our lives.

As Jesus talked with his disciples, the most permanent thing they could think of was Herod's Temple. The Jerusalem Temple was far from old and dilapidated; it wasn't even finished yet.  But as they stood and looked at the building, Jesus needed to make a point; even this temple, built with big stones and designed to symbolize the city, was not permanent. Nothing that man has created on this planet is designed to last. Only the human race was created for eternity. We have been made for so much more than just this, even when discussing a Temple built to worship God.

During our days on this planet, I am sure there are many things that we will do that will be of great importance, at least to us and those who live within our circles of influence. But nothing that we will do will persist through eternity. So, while you spend time on what you think might be necessary to you and the ones you love, let me leave you with a small reminder: don't neglect that which is eternal because you were created for far more than this.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Matthew 25

See also Mark 13:2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment