Saturday 25 November 2023

Remember the law of my servant Moses, the decrees and laws I gave him at Horeb for all Israel. – Malachi 4:4

Today's Scripture Reading (November 25, 2023): Malachi 3 & 4

Just a personal note: a couple of weeks ago, one of my uncles passed away. This year, 2023, has been a rough year for my family. It all started with the passing of my grandmother at the age of 107. Grandma led a good life, and I am thankful for every moment I spent with her. But her death in the spring was followed by two uncles and the husband of a special cousin. I am hoping that the passing of my Uncle is the last loss for 2023, but only God knows what the future might hold for the family.

Soon after my Uncle's death, a cousin called him a GIANT (the capitals were his). When I first read the words, I admit that I smiled. My Uncle, at least to me as a kid, was a GIANT. My dad was tall, but my Uncle was taller. And I can remember, as a kid, hoping that I would be taller than he was. I made it, but not in the way that I wanted. I was never taller than my Uncle was when I was a child, but fighting Parkinson's disease and stooped by age, the last time I saw my Uncle, I was taller than he was; it was a circumstance that made me sad.

But that wasn't really what my cousin was saying. My Uncle was a GIANT in many ways. He left a fantastic legacy for his family, my Aunt, and cousins, and even for those of us who were a little further out on the limbs of our family tree. He left us a message, not only in what he said, but also with what he did. His influence was vast, and he will be remembered by many people. It is a legacy of which his family can be very proud.

These are the last words of the Hebrew Bible. Malachi didn't realize it, but these would be the last words recorded before a 400-year silence from God. This silence would only be broken by what John called the "Word became flesh." John writes, "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth" (John 1:14).

God might be going silent for a while, but that doesn't mean he has nothing to say. Through Malachi, he tells Israel to remember Moses and the decrees and laws God gave him on Mount Horeb, also known as Mount Sinai. God has spoken enough for the people. They didn't need more words; they needed the character to follow the instructions already given to them.

We have the same words, as well as the words spoken, after that 400-year silence, by the "Word become Flesh." We don't need more words; we need the character to follow the instructions we already have.

And, once again, in personal mode, my family might have lost some key people in 2023. Their voices may have gone silent, but as a family, we need to follow the GIANT example that Aura, Don, Stuart, and Dave have left for us.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Luke 1


No comments:

Post a Comment