Monday 23 October 2023

The nations will see your vindication, and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the LORD will bestow. – Isaiah 62:2

Today's Scripture Reading (October 23, 2023): Isaiah 62

As Hamas began its 2023 offensive against Israel, and as Israel declared war on their terrorist opponents, I struggled, wondering, "What exactly is the endgame?" I understand all those who believe Israel has no right to exist. The space occupied by Israel has been your land for the past 1900 years. Israel has been absent as a nation of the world longer than it has existed as a nation. And I wonder if it was not for Adolf Hitler and the Holocaust, I wonder if it would exist today. Over that time, it has become your land. You are passionate about the land and want to take it back. But I keep asking myself, "Will the world powers allow Israel not to exist." And the answer that I keep coming back to is "no." In some form, Israel will still stand when all this is over. I am not sure that I believe the same about Hamas, but I do think that even if Hamas is wiped off the face of the Earth, some other terrorist group will rise to take their place, and the cycle that has been present in the Middle East for the last 75 years will continue.

So, the better question might be, understanding that Israel is not going away, is there a better way to arrive at a suitable solution? And the answer might be political. When a military solution doesn't exist, we often have to turn to peaceful revolution. The reality is that if the enemies of Israel want to win the war on the ground in the Middle East, they will first have to win the war in the hearts of the planet's inhabitants, especially the hearts of the West. It was what happened in India under Mahatma Gandhi. Gandhi's strong belief in India and peace was the force that brought about significant change in the nation. Beating up on someone with guns and missiles might be more emotionally satisfying, but as with most emotional decisions, it is a decision that will not take us where we want to go.  

Isaiah writes that the nations, literally anyone not of Israel, will be drawn to Israel and come to trust in Israel's God. It is a further reminder that Israel's mission has always been to show God to the world and be a blessing to the citizens of our planet. It is a task that the Christian Church has also been called to, working alongside our Jewish brothers and sisters. At that time, God will give Israel a new name; no longer will Israel be known by its past nicknames, but God will provide them with new names that reflect their character. The idea carries over into the New Testament in John's Revelation.

The one who is victorious I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will they leave it. I will write on them the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on them my new name (Revelation 3:12).

But none of this has happened. It is still the possession of the future chapters of the story that we are writing. And only after this takes place will the Middle East know real peace.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 63

No comments:

Post a Comment