Friday 27 October 2023

For this is what the LORD says: "I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees.- Isaiah 66:12

Today's Scripture Reading (October 27, 2023): Isaiah 66

As I write this post, the unrest in Israel and the Gaza Strip seems to grow. And over the past few days, I have received more messages reminding me to keep Israel in my prayers, which they are almost every minute of the day. However, my response has remained that we need to also keep the Palestinians, Hamas, and other anti-Israel actors in our prayers; after all, regardless of which side we find ourselves, Jesus reminded us,

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that (Matthew 5:44-47).

If we are really followers of Christ, then it is our duty to pray for everyone in the area, including the innocent victims and the participants on both sides of the conflict.

But living on the other side of the world, it may be a little surprising and scary that the conflict is here. Like so many others, I have heard the horror stories of students who identify with one side of the conflict and are scared as they go to class for fear that someone will be offended by their heritage or ancestors. It was a little disconcerting to see a car filled with young adults of Palestinian descent, all sitting on the windows of their vehicle, fully masked, waving Palestinian flags, honking their horns, and screaming at others in a language that I didn't understand, driving through a shopping mall in my little corner of the world. The war isn't just in the Middle East; it has come home to where I live with my family and children.

In the closing of his prophecy, Isaiah speaks of a day when peace will come to Jerusalem like a river. (Time to break into a rousing version of the old Sunday School song "I've Got Peace like a River.”) But the peace doesn't just stay with Jerusalem. Isaiah's prophecy is that peace will begin in Jerusalem but then flood to the other nations and extend to the world. Isaiah speaks of a time that this world has never known, when we live in true peace, one with the other. It is a time that I pray for, even as I pray for Israel, the Gaza Strip, Hamas, and other actors with whom I agree and disagree. Because peace is the counter-cultural movement toward which God is calling us. And maybe today is the day that it starts with us.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Esther 1

No comments:

Post a Comment