Saturday 8 April 2023

… who go down to Egypt without consulting me; who look for help to Pharaoh's protection, to Egypt's shade for refuge. – Isaiah 30:2

Today's Scripture Reading (April 8, 2023): Isaiah 30

Every time I write the word "slavery," my computer rebels against me and asks if that is really the word that I want to use. My computer suggests that I replace the word "slavery" with the phrase "enslaved people," although I admit that I am not sure the change makes the sentence much better. But I struggle with the idea that one person could think it is right to own another person. I know people have been enslaved on this planet since the beginning of our time here, but it just doesn't make sense that anyone could think that that was okay. And yet I also know that people have defended the institution of slavery throughout history, even if I struggle with understanding how that could be true. I also don't see why any of us would think that one person is better than other due to the color of our skin.

So, it amazed me that a group of High School students in Missouri in 2021 decided to post a petition to return the area, and maybe the nation, to the institution of slavery. Some students thought the petition was some sick joke, but it wasn't. These privileged white kids decided that they wanted the world to know that they "hated blacks" and "loved slavery." Something inside of me hopes that they were just trying to be combative, and someday they will realize how wrong just speaking those words is and that they will regret this moment of their youths, just as I regret some moments of mine.

But even worse would be if the enslaved person returned to the enslaver to become enslaved once more. It is almost unthinkable. Almost.

God delivered Israel from slavery in Egypt. Maybe that should have been enough for Israel never to want to return to the North East African nation, but in case of some misunderstanding, Moses stresses this point in his final messages to Israel. "The king, moreover, must not acquire great numbers of horses for himself or make the people return to Egypt to get more of them, for the Lord has told you, "You are not to go back that way again" (Deuteronomy 17:16). If you are thinking of going back to Egypt for whatever purpose, just don't do it.

Isaiah's prophecy continues, and the prophet centers his focus on Judah. His concern is that Judah is showing a tendency to want to run to the Pharaohs of Egypt for protection. And God is amazed. The people of Judah are more willing to trust the ones who once enslaved them than to put their trust in the God who delivered them from that slavery. They were ready to voluntarily walk back into the very place from which they had been delivered, trying to seek refuge from their former enslavers.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 31

No comments:

Post a Comment