Monday 24 April 2023

Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. – Psalm 47:1

Today's Scripture Reading (April 24, 2023): Psalm 46 & 47

How do you show your appreciation for someone? I think we have all grown up pretending to be in a situation where we can receive the cries of adoration from the crowd. However, as someone who is actually an introvert, there is a massive difference between the childhood dream and the adult reality. Even as an actor, I find that I am uncomfortable with that moment of applause at the end of a play. And yet, it is a common way for us to respond to something that has touched us and to give our appreciation to people who have done something well.

Psalm 47 is often regarded as an extension of Psalm 46. Both Psalms are written by "The Sons of Korah." But Psalm 47 is also an enthronement psalm, created to be used on festive occasions to remind people that God is still on the throne and reigns in our midst.

It is also a pointer toward worship. But it is worship that is different from what many of us witness on a Sunday morning. I have to admit that we have a divide in our worship practices. My brother-in-law refers to those who like to dance during worship, with or without the ribbons, as "vestal virgins." It is probably not a well-received description by those who want to dance during worship. But it points to our division. As I look out at my service on a Sunday morning, I often see the dancers over in one corner of the sanctuary. Overlapped with the dancers are the clappers, those who love to clap, often off-beat but sometimes not, and it really doesn't matter, to the song being sung. I see the diligent singers who concentrate on how the music is best sung and sometimes work on intricate harmonies that work for the song. And then there are sleepers and the grumpy. This last group can be hilarious to watch. Most stayed up way too late the night before and just can't be bothered to sing, stand, or do anything, and often seem to look down on those who do.

I must admit that I attended one church service several years ago at a conservative church, filled with hymns and a piano and organ. And I just decided that I was going to smile, stand, and sing during the service and see if anyone noticed. I had no official reason for being there, and I don't think anyone knew who I was. But I wasn't disappointed. After the service, the Worship Leader found me and called me an enthusiastic worshipper; I am not convinced that the description was supposed to be a compliment; maybe it was just his version of my brother-in-law's "vestal virgins."

But the worship described by the "Sons of Korah" is not the sleepy version I often see in our sanctuaries. It is the animated version of the enthusiastic worshippers and even the worship of our "vestal virgins." There, praises are shouted and filled with joy rather than whispered as if the worshippers were afraid of waking their neighbors up. You can look down on me all you want, but that is the kind of worship that God needs from all of us "enthusiastic worshippers."

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Psalm 48

No comments:

Post a Comment