Saturday 1 August 2020

Listen to me, you islands; hear this, you distant nations: Before I was born the LORD called me; from my mother’s womb he has spoken my name. – Isaiah 49:1

Today's Scripture Reading (August 1, 2020): Isaiah 49

Christmas is coming. I guess that is an ever-present reality. I have friends who are already making their preparations for a Christmas Celebration that is now just under five months away. I have always waited until much closer to the day before I start my preparations. But while the celebration of Christmas is still months away, the story is always with us. The Incarnation, God with us, shapes our faith and everything that we do.

It was the eighth-century B.C.E. prophet Micah who wrote about the coming incarnation. “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times” (Micah 5:2). And the biblical historian Luke wrote that;

But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end” (Luke 1:30-33).

Isaiah sends a message to the distant lands that one is coming who will be for them. The coming of the Messiah was not just an event that would be important for Israel. His coming would be important for the entire world. And before he would be born, God would call him, supporting the message of Micah who had declared that his roots would be “of old, from ancient times.” And Luke confirms the message of Isaiah that “from my mothers womb he has spoken my name” by declaring that the angel called him Jesus even before he was conceived.

So, Merry Christmas. The celebration might still be months away, but the reality of the Incarnation of Messiah is with us every day of the year, and not just in the cold and snowy days (at least where I live) of December.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 50

 


No comments:

Post a Comment