Tuesday 4 August 2020

For this is what the LORD says: "You were sold for nothing and without money you will be redeemed." – Isaiah 52:3

Today's Scripture Reading (August 4, 2020): Isaiah 52

People sometimes come to me, wondering if I do counseling. I prefer the term "pastoral care," it is more descriptive of what I do, but it is a form of counseling. The next question is, usually, "how much do you charge?" And for that question, I have a standard response. I do it for free, but you get what you pay for. Sometimes that produces a quizzical response. But it is the truth. What I do, I do as a pastor and a friend. And for some things, that is enough. But anything more, I ship off to people who are a little more qualified.

It is also a reality of life. We are all looking for a deal, but, most of the time, you get what you pay for. Cheap items are often made of inexpensive materials. The work that goes in on inexpensive products doesn't quite measure up to the more expensive versions. I always question a quote that is significantly out of line with others for the same project. Because, in the end, you usually get what it is that you are willing to pay for.

I love Isaiah's message here. You were sold, or sold yourself, for nothing. You followed false gods who carried you into evil deeds. For these gods who did not even exist, you sacrificed your children and threw away your future. The price that you paid might have been high, but the reality is that you didn't get anything back in the process. You sold yourselves and everything dear that you possessed, for nothing.

But don't worry, because of the grace and mercy of God, you will also be redeemed without a cost. Or maybe better, the price for your redemption will not be borne by you. Like most prophecies, there seems to be a short and a long aspect of this prophecy. In the short term, God has already prophesied through Isaiah that he was going to raise up the Achaemenid or Persian King, Cyrus, to return the exiles home without cost because it was the right thing to do.  

I will raise up Cyrus in my righteousness:
    I will make all his ways straight.
He will rebuild my city
    and set my exiles free,
but not for a price or reward,
    says the Lord Almighty" (Isaiah 45:13).

Except that there would be a cost, but that cost would be borne by Cyrus, and not by people who probably should have been responsible for the price that needed to be paid.

But, on a little longer-term, God had another plan. Once again, there would be a high price for God's solution, but it would not fall on those who should have paid the price. In his plan, his Son would die on a cross for their, and our, sin. It is the story of our redemption, but God would pay the price.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 53


No comments:

Post a Comment