Tuesday 23 April 2019

We have sinned, even as our ancestors did; we have done wrong and acted wickedly. – Psalm 106:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 23, 2019): Psalm 106

I recently received a question through Facebook about my church’s stand on LGBTQ issues. It is one of the most destructive questions that can be asked in today’s political environment. And one that most of us would rather not answer. From my point of view, part of my problem is that I don’t know the answer. In my opinion, the Traditional Christian Church has given LGBTQ theology a pride of place that it simply does not deserve. It is condemned in the Bible, but not frequently enough to build the theology that we have built around it. And the passages are not above being questioned. As a result, my answers make no one happy. The unfortunate truth is that we can make a solid biblical argument in both directions, and that satisfies no one. For the conservative Christian, I am often accused of being too soft on sin by not condemning “homosexuality.” For the LGBTQ community and their supporters, my defense of the LGBTQ community is not strong enough. I believe that we need more open and honest conversations, but I am not sure we are going to have them any time soon.

But this I know. I am a sinner. In fact, I am a great sinner. Paul is quite clear on that point, although I already knew that that was true in my own life. Paul’s words are concise; “…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). We have sinned, and God has found a way to offer us forgiveness before we even knew that it was forgiveness that we needed. I know that I am a great sinner, but I also know that Christ is a great Savior. Beyond that single fact, I know that we are to love. And “this is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters” (1 John 3:16). I can’t find the words that “we are to love them as long as they agree with us” anywhere in the Christian Testament. We are to be a people of love.

I sometimes wonder if our hot button issues accomplish nothing other than to take us away from what is really important in our world. We need to understand that we are sinners. We have committed personal sin; every one of us stands guilty in the presence of God. We need forgiveness. And once we have found that forgiveness, we are to become masters at loving those who are around us, regardless of the sin or baggage that they carry. And after we have learned love, there might be time to start working at our hot button issues. But I suspect that after we have mastered love, recognizing that we too are sinners, our hot button topics might not seem all that important anymore. 

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 17

No comments:

Post a Comment