Friday 26 April 2019

“Don’t be afraid,” David said to him, “for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan. I will restore to you all the land that belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will always eat at my table.” – 2 Samuel 9:7


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 26, 2019): 2 Samuel 9

I got the strap in school once. (I know, there actually was a day when teachers, or principals, could use physical violence as punishment on a student. What were we thinking?) At the time of this episode of “teacher on student physical violence,” I was six-years-old and in grade one. The crime was the theft of a Gumby. I cried out that I was innocent, and I was. But the problem was that I was holding a key piece of evidence in my hands – the Gumby. My defense was that this was a different Gumby. I had brought this particular Gumby from home. At the time, the strange bendable figure was fairly popular. So, the young Garry was charged with theft, then had his property removed from him and given to another kid.

Convicted of a crime, that afternoon I made a slow walk toward home, and when I reached the spot where I could see my house, I was devastated to see the Pastor’s car sitting in front of my house. I was sure that the Man of God had been summoned to deal out more punishment on me, a lowly sinner. I snuck into the house and refused to come out of my room until long after the confused pastor had left, and supper was on the table.

I don’t think I told my parents about what had happened that night. I was just too embarrassed. I also don’t think that they noticed the missing Gumby. The next day, I went back to school. I didn’t want to, but I didn’t have a choice in the matter. And at school, the teacher was waiting for me, with my Gumby in her hand. New evidence had been discovered during the night. The stolen Gumby had never actually been taken; the student had left it at home. Gumby number two had never come to school in the first place. I was vindicated, but it left me with a permanent dislike for school and distrust for authority. I still suffer from it.

David was King. There was no palace coup, but a new King who was unrelated to the previous King was on the throne of Israel. The usual course of action was that the new king would execute all of the family of the former king so that there could be no one else who might lay claim to the throne. These murders were committed out of expediency and not morality. But David had a high sense of morality. He had proven that during the life of Saul, refusing to lay a hand on the King.

But Mephibosheth may not have known that, and even if he did, he could not know if the King’s mercy extended to him. Mephibosheth had done his best to fly under the radar and keep away from the attention of the King. But now, he was being called into the presence of the king. And he must have been very nervous about the reason why. The question in the center of his mind had to be “could this be his last day on earth?”


David understands the emotions flowing through Mephibosheth. And so his first words are “Don’t be afraid.” My intention is not to do you harm, but to honor you as a descendant of the king. I am not a danger to you unless, of course, you are a danger to me.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 10


No comments:

Post a Comment