Thursday 28 June 2018

“The wings of the ostrich flap joyfully, though they cannot compare with the wings and feathers of the stork. – Job 39:13


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 28, 2018): Job 39

Have you ever tried to read Dr. Seuss without smiling?
A train! A train!
Could you, would you
on a train?
Not on a train! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! Sam! Let me be!
I would not, could not, in a box.
I could not, would not, with a fox.
I will not eat them with a mouse
I will not eat them in a house.
I will not eat them here or there.
I will not eat them anywhere.
I do not like green eggs and ham
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
“Green Eggs and Ham” is one of a range of possible bedtime stories for which my grandchildren might ask as the sun sets and it is time once more to prepare for the inevitable moment of sleep. And I admit, one of my grandsons is named William, so the occasional “Will-I-Am” gets thrown into the mix when I read the Dr. Suess classic. My own love affair with Dr. Suess dates back to a dreadfully boring visit that my parents made to the home of some friends. I am not sure what was wrong with me that day, but playing with the children, all of whom were at least slightly younger than me and female, simply did not appeal on that visit. So, while the adults sat and talked (what is fun about that?) and the younger children played, I discovered the full Dr. Suess library in one of the rooms. I sat on the floor and read, and smiled because reading Dr. Suess is always a ridiculous experience.

Do you smile when you read the Bible? My bet is not, and admittedly the Bible is filled with serious, and sometimes boring, bits. But it is also filled with the ridiculous. Job is a fairly serious book, but even here God places some humor. I mean, have you ever seen an ostrich flap its wings? It is a scene worthy of Dr. Suess.

            Have you seen an ostrich flap its wings?

            Have you watched an ostrich when it sings?

            It flaps and flaps but can’t go high.

            Why give it wings when it cannot fly?

(I know, a poor imitation, but I had to try.) But just like reading Dr. Suess without smiling, it is equally impossible to watch an ostrich flap its wings without feeling at least mildly amused. Theologian Rex Mason sums up the scene presented here with this remark. “This passage is remarkable in that it continues the first and only real humor in the book of Job. Leave it to God to pull a stunt like this, forcing a smile out of Job at a time when the poor fellow has been so intent on his misery.” Leave it to God to bring a smile to our lips even in the midst of our worst moments, if we are willing to hear his voice.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Job 40

No comments:

Post a Comment