Monday 11 June 2018

Can anyone teach knowledge to God, since he judges even the highest? – Job 21:22


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 11, 2018): Job 21

My favorite moment from last month’s Royal Wedding of Harry and Meghan, now the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, was the moment when the newlyweds reappeared, paused, and the gathered sang “God Save the Queen.” (I get it, I am weird.) My wife wondered how many times Queen Elizabeth had heard the song. I marveled at the privilege that the gathered had of singing the song in her presence (to be honest, I would love the opportunity. I have sung the song many times, but never in her presence.) And I was a little disappointed at the lackluster performance of many of the family members in the singing of the anthem. Maybe they had sung the tune too many times to even fake enthusiasm in the song.

But the moment also presented the viewer with one of the mistakes of the wedding, and we do love it when there are mistakes even at Royal Weddings. Meghan forgot to curtsey. Harry bowed his head to the Queen, but Meghan was fiddling with her dress, trying valiantly to get it straight; there was no curtsey, which is required of all people in the presence of the Queen – even her family. Now, I may be a man, but I get it. A lot is going on at a wedding. And I have often informed prospective brides that on this day, they are the Queen. The rest of us will do our best to work around them. But then again, I have never performed a wedding with the Queen actually in attendance.

But I have another question about the Wedding flub which might be more important. My question is this, did the Queen even notice? The rest of us can go over the replays and argue about whether there was or was not a curtsey, but I would like to know did the Queen even care, or was her attention fixed on her grandson, whom I am sure she loves very much? Were her eyes so filled with tears of pride at the man that he had become, that she would have missed the curtsey even if it was present? Did she understand the stress of this day on Meghan; that the lack of acknowledgment of her presence was both understandable and forgivable? I will never know, but my guess is that the missed curtsey was not discussed inside the Royal family. It is just something that those of us who like to gossip on the outside found important.

Job is struggling with the actions of God. He comes close to questioning the response of God to him in this situation. Why is it that the wicked sometimes prosper, while the good get little notice? But then he pauses with this realization. God is God, and he will do whatever it is that he will do. We can question his actions from the outside, but we do so with very little understanding. We are nothing more than gossips standing on the outside watching the actions of our sovereign. We have to trust that God is doing what he knows is best.

At this moment, Job is building a character that will carry him through the rest of his life. He is becoming even more of a righteous man than he was before his trials began. And he is gaining an understanding of God, something that his friends continue to lack. The whole story of Job contains a lesson about what God considers to be important. And in the end, what he considers to be important is what really matters.

And what Queen Elizabeth II considered to be important on the day of the Royal wedding might be a mystery to most of us looking on from the outside. But I am sure that the family understands her view from the second row. And Job is in the process of gaining that kind of understanding of God. He is becoming part of the family.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Job 22

No comments:

Post a Comment