Thursday 2 November 2017

Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him. – Matthew 20:34


Today’s Scripture Reading (November 2, 2017): Matthew 20

Mother Teresa said that “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.” We struggle with understanding her words. The truth is that I know some very generous people. But those in need often want more, because in this world there seems to be no end to the “need.” Often we can do something, but we can’t do everything.

On top of this, we have all heard the story of panhandlers hiding their BMW’s away from the place where they practice their struggle, asking passing motorists for money. A while back a man came into my office asking for money for gas and food, and after talking with him for a while, I watched him drive away in his brand new Ford Truck. There was just something incongruous about the situation. I have long since stopped carrying cash with me, and a lot of the problem is not a reticence to help, but instead understanding when help is really needed. I am convinced that if we understood the level of need in our world, the generous souls exist that can take care of that need. Our problem is that the drain on generous souls by those who are not in need have worn out the potential for help. I think many do understand that we belong to each other, that there is a burden placed on those with material wealth to care for those who lack. But our struggle is often the task of reaching beyond the false and seeing the need.

I have no idea what was happening in Jesus midst on this day. Maybe Jesus’s disciples had forgotten that we belong to each other. But I think, perhaps, that the struggle of the disciples was similar to the one that we face on a daily basis. The need seemed to be overwhelming, and part of the problem was that charlatans existed all over the place who only wanted to take advantage of the generosity of those who would pass by. So as the two blind men cry for Jesus, they quickly try to protect their rabbi from the demands of the men.

But the story changes because Jesus saw them. He understood their need – and realized that the need was real. Because Jesus saw them, he had compassion for them. And he restored their sight. It was all that they wanted from him. Jesus understood that he and the two men belonged to each other, and because of that, Jesus was willing to do something.

I need the same miracle. I need to see the world through the eyes of Jesus. I need to look beyond the deception to the real problems of this world. I know that we belong to each other, but sometimes I struggle with what that means as I face the need of my community. I need Jesus’s eyes, and the willingness to see and react with compassion. And I don’t think I am alone. We all need Jesus to touch our eyes so that we can see the need, and understand that we do belong to each other.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Mark 10

No comments:

Post a Comment