Friday 4 August 2017

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners … - Isaiah 61:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 4, 2017): Isaiah 61

I spend a lot of time thinking about community. Part of the reason is that community is so integral to the Bible, but sometimes so foreign to us. Community can take many forms, and I think all of them are valid. But in the end, community also needs to have a purpose. It isn’t about cliques – but real community is something that tears down the barriers that we seem to put up all around us.

I have been privileged to have spent some time with people that believed in what Isaiah says here – that the Spirit of the Lord is on me (or maybe us – the community) for a particular purpose. We will preach the good news to the poor. We will minister to those that are broken, those that are captive – because, in reality, they were (and are) us. 

As a church, I think that is part of the problem. Somehow as we minister we forget who we were before Christ. Someone preached the gospel to us when we needed it (not when we deserved it.) Who we are today is a product of God loving and our growth in him. If you claim Christ as your Savior – then he has changed you. You can’t stay the same. But somehow we must remember from where it was that we have come.

I believe that it is the presence of the Spirit in community that gives us our purpose. We are a people on a mission. That mission is to advance the kingdom of God through prayer, the purposeful sharing of the Gospel of Christ, and a prodigal (wasteful) love for those around us. It was the gift that was given to me when I needed it, and I can do no less than to share it – but I can’t do it unless I can say with Isaiah – the Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me – and on us.

And so the community continues to grow. Will you join me!

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Isaiah 62

No comments:

Post a Comment