Friday 24 March 2017

When I say to a wicked person, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn them or speak out to dissuade them from their evil ways in order to save their life, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. – Ezekiel 3:18



Today’s Scripture Reading (March 24, 2017) Ezekiel 3

Penn Jillette is famous for his atheism. But some years ago Penn released a video about a man who came to him after a show and gave him a Gideon New Testament with Psalms. According to Penn, this was a good guy. Now, Penn believes that religion has caused a lot of harm in the world. I have to admit that I am in full agreement with Penn on that issue, although it mystifies me how believers in God – Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists and the list goes on – could ever revert violence. All of these faiths should make this world a better place, but often they haven’t. And that includes my faith of Christianity. But Penn reacted with great respect for this man who gave him a Bible and seemed to be genuinely concerned for his immortal soul. Maybe the problem in our proselytizing is that we lack that genuine concern and respect.

Here is what Penn Jillette had to say about his experience.

I have always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize, I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there is a heaven and hell and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever - and you think that ‘well, it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward’ – and atheists who think that people shouldn’t proselytize, ‘just leave me alone and keep your religion to yourself” - how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed beyond a shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe it, and that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you, and this is more important than that.   
I first watched the video several years ago. And the words that have stuck with me Penn’s comment about “how much do you have to hate somebody” not to tell them – to decide that the social awkwardness was more important than the other person’s life.

This is God’s message to Ezekiel. I am sending you to a people who are hurting because of their actions, but with a genuine concern and respect, I need you to tell them what I have told you. I don’t need you to be an inconsiderate boar. I don’t need you to think that you are somehow more important than they are. I am sending you because I love them as much as I love you.

Go, look them in the eyes, love them and tell them. Thanks, Mr. Jillette, for reminding all of us what means to be a believer, and a part of this human journey.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 4

No comments:

Post a Comment