Wednesday 15 March 2017

They have built the high places of Baal to burn their children in the fire as offerings to Baal—something I did not command or mention, nor did it enter my mind. – Jeremiah 19:5



Today’s Scripture Reading (March 15, 2017) Jeremiah 19

I believe that we are designed to be creative. The God that created us in his image was creative when he dreamt of us – and when he created us. If I am created in the very image of a creative God – then I must be creative. As I watch children play, I am convinced of our creativity. I think, as parents, we often train the imagination and creativity out of our kids. But we can’t totally do it – because creativity is at the center of who we are.
We are creative – but that creative energy has to be channeled somewhere. It is like the waters of a flood – we can try to dam it up but unless there is a direction for it to go – a channel – then it will eventually find its own path. I am afraid that deep down we feel that our imagination is juvenile – and therefore we put down our creativity, but we are designed by a creative God for a creative life – and our creativity will find its own path if we don’t give it one.
So Jeremiah speaks the words of God. And he tells Israel that they have set the up altars to Baal – and I get that because as much as you are made to be creative, you are also designed to seek God. But they didn’t just build altars to a god that didn’t exist – but they purposed to sacrifice their children to these imaginary gods. And Jeremiah reports God’s reaction as being “I would never have thought of that.” You are creative – but your creativity is going in a wrong direction.
We all know that experience. We live in a world that seems to be always creating new ways to destroy us – new avenues to experience what is immoral. There is evidence all around us that screams at us saying that our creativity (which is a necessary part of us) is just out of control. Getting our creativity under control begins with recognizing that we are creative people instead of trying to deny our creative impulses. At some point, we need to value the way that we are creative. And once we recognize our creativity, to step up and ask God “how can I use my creativity in serving you.”
We are creative, we are designed by God to be – and the world needs our creativity. The only missing piece is our recognition of the creative abilities that God has given us. And if we don’t recognize that, our creativity will find other ways to express itself.
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 20

No comments:

Post a Comment