Thursday 17 November 2016

Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. – Joel 2:29


Today’s Scripture Reading (November 17, 2016): Joel 2

A couple of weeks ago, I took part in a panel discussion around the topic of “Loving our LGBTQ Neighbor.” I was ready for the discussion. Loving and welcoming our LGBTQ neighbors into the Christian Church is something about which I feel strongly. The discussion around me does not appear to be there – the questions and arguments that I am hearing are around the affirmation of the LGBTQ community - and half the time I am not even sure what that means. Nevertheless, this is going to be a hugely important discussion for the church in the next few years, no matter which side of the coin we might find ourselves. Moreover, there does not appear to be a smoking gun for either side – as much as both sides want to pretend that there is. My position is that God has called me to love my neighbor no matter what artificial barriers might exist between us. So loving the LGBTQ community seems to be a no-brainer.

What I was not ready for was where the conversation turned after the panel discussion was over. Suddenly I was knee-deep in an argument over the rights of women to lead inside of the church – something that I had foolishly believed that we were already in agreement around. I am an egalitarian when it comes to women’s issues. I believe that women have both the right and the spiritual gifting to be in the church leadership discussion. There are a number of women for whom I have great respect, and I make sure that I am listening to them when they speak. But the discussion around women at the highest levels of Christian Leadership seems to be renewing itself.

I am not sure that Joel understood a fraction of what he was writing about, but here, I believe, he makes the argument in favor of women in leadership positions in the major ministries within the church. According to Joel, the day would come when God would pour out his Spirit on anyone who dared to declare that he was Lord. I believe that we are living in that day right now. God has poured his spirit out on both men and women, and that is the only criteria that we need to know to decide who it is that can take leadership positions in the church.

Going forward, I believe it is also the criteria that will help us with the question regarding affirmation of the LGBTQ community. If God has poured out his Spirit, who are we to argue. And if he refuses to pour out his Spirit on segments of the population, then he has decided – not us. I want to be working in the areas where God’s Spirit has been poured, and I pray that my personal biases will not be a barrier to the Spirit of God moving and working around me. After all, If God’s Spirit is there, why would we want to be someplace else?  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Joel 3

No comments:

Post a Comment