Friday 25 November 2016

But you made the Nazirites drink wine and commanded the prophets not to prophesy. – Amos 2:12



Today’s Scripture Reading (November 25, 2016): Amos 2

I grew up watching “Bewitched.” The show would probably not be politically correct for contemporary Christianity, but back in the day, it was just fun. And I have to admit that there were times when I wished that I had Samantha’s talents (like right now as I look around my messy office that I never seem to be able to find time to clean. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to wiggle my nose – and no, I can’t even do that – and get the files to go where they belong, and my books placed back in their appropriate spots.) But what I didn’t understand was Darren’s insistence that Sam never use her powers. It seems that the one thing we should all do is use whatever gifts we possess – after all, isn’t that why God gifted us in the first place.

Apparently, Israel shared Darren’s reservations on the using of gifts. God blessed Israel with Prophets who could tell the nation how to live in a godly way, and Nazirites who had committed themselves to certain practices (and not partaking of any products from the grapevine was one of those practices) so that they could live, at least portions of their lives, walking extremely close to God. But Israel had violated them by telling the prophets not to prophesy and forcing the Nazirites to break the vows they had taken in their relationship with God. It was as if they somehow believed that their ignorance about the things of God would give them license to violate the commands of God. It was Darren telling Samantha that if she didn’t use her powers, she would no longer be who she really was. And that was what Darren seemed to want – normality without being reminded that the woman he married was unique.

And we still do that. I am not a Nazirite, but I don’t drink. But my friends at times seem to be insulted by that. Google and Facebook are currently trying to crack down on Fake News or Satire masquerading as News (back in the “Bewitched” days, we might have just called them lies.) But what the Fake News proliferation proves is that the only voices we want to hear prophesying are the ones who agree with us. Woe to the prophet who tries to speak the Word of God if it is outside of our comfort zone. We are the Israelites who have forced the Nazirites to break their vows and have told the prophets to stop making their noise. And for that we need to be repentant.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Amos 3

No comments:

Post a Comment