Saturday 4 June 2016

In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me. – Psalm 71:2



Today’s Scripture Reading (June 4, 2016): Psalm 71

I am currently in the middle of a conversation with a few people who have been hurt by the Christian Church. In their minds, the hurt that they have experienced justifies their act of discarding the church. But I am afraid that they are “throwing the baby out with the bathwater.” I have no doubt that they have been hurt by the church. What amazes me is that, in every instance, they cannot imagine the hurt the rest of us have felt as well. They know what people have done to them and can give you a blow by blow description of their sin, but they are totally unable to imagine the ways that these people have been hurt in order to make them act the way that they do.

These are not just the wounds of the church. They are the wounds of the human race, things that we carry around with us because of the way that we have been hurt. It is the garbage that clings to us and the stink that we carry with us. None of us are immune to the hurt that we have received, or to the hurt that we have caused. That is the other similarity between my friends hurt by the church, every single one of them seems oblivious to the hurt they are creating in the lives of others. And even if they do see the hurt that they are leaving in their wake, their response is apt to be along the lines of the people deserving it because of all of the hurt that they have felt.

It doesn’t matter who you are, or what faith or lack of faith that you proclaim, this is the reality of our lives. We are the wounded warriors, struggling with each day, trying to just get through to the end and trying to forget about all of the hurt that we have experienced. Admittedly, some of us are better at getting past the hurt than others – but we all hurt.

Maybe that is why I love this line of the Psalmist. In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me … Not because I am a great guy and deserve your help. I have been hopelessly wounded on the field of battle. And that pain means that I have caused others pain. I have no righteousness. Say that again with me – I have no righteousness. At least, I have no righteousness past the righteousness that God has given to me. And even that righteousness really belongs to him and not me. But I am still in need of saving, even though I don’t deserve it.

This is my cry - In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me. And I think it is the cry of every other Christian who is on this journey with me or has walked on ahead. In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me, because God, we have no righteousness of our own – but we still need to be rescued.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 92 & 93

No comments:

Post a Comment