Wednesday 23 December 2015

The Israelites did evil in the eyes of the LORD; they forgot the LORD their God and served the Baals and the Asherahs. – Judges 3:7


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 23, 2015): Judges 3

Christmas 2015 will most likely be remembered for giving us what I understand is “the greatest Star Wars since the original.” Or maybe the sequels, or more importantly the prequels, were so bad that it just makes this movie look as good as the original (To be honest, I have enjoyed all of the previous six Star Wars Chapters, but there was something special about the first one – or is that the fourth one – it is so confusing.) In four days I will find out for myself – the tickets are purchased and the family is ready to go and see “The Force Awakens.” But in recent days the internet has been alive with nostalgic pieces about the science fiction franchise – from things you didn’t know about the franchise to how much money the various participants in the franchise have made off of Star Wars (and an interesting piece on Disney’s refusal to be involved in the original movie project for a pittance of what they had to pay to get the rights to make episode seven.) But maybe one of my favorites was a countdown of the best villains of the franchise. If you missed the list you can find it here along with their descriptions of the villains – but basically this is what they came up with –

#10 Greedo

#9 General Grievous 

#8 Jango Fett

#7 Count Dooku 

#6 Jabba the Hutt
 
#5 Darth Maul 

#4 Boba Fett 

#3 Grand Moff Tarkin
 
#2 Emperor Palpatine

#1 Darth Vader

Villains are always a lot of fun – well, at least they are in our entertainment. A good movie, or television show, or a good book all depend on a good bad guy. They set of the tension for all that will happen next.

But in real life, the villain is never good – and never needed. But the reality is that the top villain in life is also very controllable – because he is me. I don’t need to look any further than myself to find the bad guy in my life. Oh, there have been others that have been pebbles in my shoes, but when it comes right down to it the bad guy, the one in control of what is good and bad in my life has always been me. I might want to blame others, but I was the one who set up the conditions for the negative moments in my life. It has always been that way.

The book of Judges is all about the cycle of bad and good in the lives of Israel during this point in history. Bad things happened, and God sent a judge to free the people, and for a while things went good, but then they fell apart and went back to bad again until the next time that God would send his judge. But the reason for the bad had nothing to do with a lack of a leader or the designs of the enemies of Israel against the fledgling nation – and everything to do with the bad guy inside the people of Israel herself. They were the ones who did evil in the sight of God. They were the ones who chose the idols of the land over the living God. They did it. We like to pretend that Satan is the number one villain, but even he falls short of that spot – because Geraldine Jones was wrong – the devil can’t make me do anything.

It is Christmas. And we need to remember the words of the angel – he will save his people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21). It is the promise that we all need to hear. The child of the manger has come to save me – from me.

And that is the truth of Christmas.

The Real Number One Villain in my life – He is Me 

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Judges 4

No comments:

Post a Comment