Tuesday 15 December 2015

Joshua said to the people, “You are not able to serve the LORD. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins. – Joshua 24:19


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 15, 2015): Joshua 24

I seem to be haunted by Donald Trump’s words that he has never done anything for which he needed to ask God for forgiveness. I struggle to understand the words. We all need forgiveness because on some level we all mess up. And forgiveness is often elusive. There have been moments in my life where forgiveness for my missteps has not been granted. And those moments still weigh heavy on me. So Trump’s words are a source of confusion for me. And his words seem to force me to choose between two possible outcomes. Either Donald Trump is much more perfect than many of us give him credit for, and maybe his name should be written Donald (Jesus) Trump because to my knowledge the only person besides Donald who never had to ask for forgiveness was Jesus, or he has a very low understanding of the demands of God. My guess is the latter, because even in his current campaign, there seems to be many moments for which Mr. Trump needs to ask forgiveness. I think God may hold Donald Trump to a higher standard than the Donald seems to think he will be held.

And that is the essential meaning behind Joshua’s words. The words seem strange, almost an oxymoron – God will not forgive. I mean, isn’t forgiveness part of the essential nature of God. I get experientially that there are people in this life who will not forgive our missteps (in my life I have a list that shapes who I am of those who have refused to forgive me), but surely we can depend on God to be willing to forgive.

But Joshua does not want his followers to take God lightly. His demands on those who choose to follow him are high (which sends us back for forgiveness often). And it is precisely the Donald Trumps of this world that need to hear Joshua’ message – you are not able to follow him, especially if you refuse to take him seriously.

A number of years ago I was helping a gentlemen return some borrowed tables back into the church. The man was just doing a favor for the one who had actually borrowed the tables, so the two of us grunted and lifted the heavy tables off of his truck and then down a set of stairs into the basement where the tables were stored. But much to the consternation of his wife, my new friend seemed to be unable to do the job without spreading some four letter words over the task. Finally his exasperated wife exclaimed – Honey, he’s a pastor! - to which the man replied – Good! Then it’s his job to forgive.

Maybe too many of us have this attitude when it comes to God. It is God’s job to forgive so I don’t have to even try to do what is right. And it is to that attitude that Joshua exclaims – Don’t even bother trying. God is holy and jealous. And forgiveness is unavailable for those who will not even bother to try and serve him.    

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Judges 17

No comments:

Post a Comment