Tuesday 19 June 2012

“Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy.’ – Exodus 31:13


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 19, 2012): Exodus 31

Growing up, if there was one commandment that I came to resent, it was the fourth commandment. The fourth commandment is the commandment that says that the Sabbath day must be kept holy. The idea is that there is six days to get all of the stuff done, but the Sabbath is to be set apart – it is supposed to be a different kind of day.  But my problem with the day was the way that the leaders of the church seemed to define it. To them, this commandment seemed to mean that you could not do anything fun on Sunday. When I went to church camps, sports were forbidden on Sunday because it needed to be kept holy and set apart. And as a kid it just seemed to be a boring day. As I grew up, I began to realize that most of what people telling me what it was that I could do on Sunday were misunderstanding the fourth commandment. And I discovered a couple things.

One of the things that I discovered was that the original Sabbath was Saturday (and that is the reason why the old style calendars start with Sunday and end with Saturday. I have calendars that start with Monday and end with Sunday but, to be honest, they just succeed in confusing me.) So the first question that people misunderstood was the day that we called the Sabbath. And they missed the reason that the Christian Church changed the day. The reason why Christians started to meet on Sunday was because Jesus rose from death to life on Sunday. And in the age of Christ and of grace, it is not just the Sabbath that was holy – every day was holy.

 A second misunderstanding that I discovered about the Sabbath was that Jesus did not agree with the religious leaders of his day on what the Sabbath was all about (and I was pretty sure that he did not agree with the religious leaders of my day either.) In fact, the fourth commandment is the only commandment that Jesus never restated in his teaching. And what they had misunderstood and what we still misunderstand is the purpose of the Sabbath. The Sabbath recognizes that God is God and that he is in control. And while it is so tempting to think, even today, that we need to work seven days a week to survive, God says “trust me, let me show you that you are in my hands and that I am still in control.” The Sabbath was a day that we could pause and recognize that God was still the one that was in control. But a second purpose of the Sabbath was that we were made for the Sabbath. We have proven that to really live healthy lives, we all need a day off, a day when we do not work and just pause to enjoy everything around us that God has created.

We are still a people in need of the Sabbath. And my prayer is that we will experience the kind of Sabbath that honors God and yet still revives us – his creation.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 32

No comments:

Post a Comment