Friday 8 June 2012

Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. – Exodus 20:12


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 8, 2012): Exodus 20

I am so indebted to my parents. There is so much of who I am that is because of them. And, I have to admit, that one of the things that can cause me pain is the idea that I am somehow letting them down. If you want to criticize me with words that will hurt, it is not hard to find the words – just remind me of the dishonor that my behavior is bringing on my name and on my parents. It is the last thing that I want to do.

My parents have taught me so much about life and about what is important. It is something that we never really understand in the early stages of our lives. When we are young parents are just obstacles to all of the fun that we think that we want to have. Then we just do not believe that our parents really get it. But as we get older we realize that it is really us that have failed to comprehend how to live our lives.

The fifth commandment has been noted to be the only one of the commandments that comes with a promise. God tells Moses that we should teach our children (and ourselves) to honor our parents so that the future will go well with us. And part of that promise is just that our parents deserve honor because they are the ones upon whom we depended in the early years of our lives. Without the protection and love of our parents, we would never have made it through childhood. But it is more than just a respect issue. Our parents are in the unique position of being able to teach us from the mistakes that they have made. And if we will learn, we will be in a position of advantage.

I am grateful for the things that I have learned from my parents, and for the opportunity to watch them live. And I have also had the opportunity to watch their parents and learn from them. It has been a gift that has been given to me by God. And I want my parents and my grandparents to know that I do honor them, and am very thankful that they are in my life.

Today, my grandmother turns 100. Thanks grandma for what you have taught my father – and me.   
  
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 21

No comments:

Post a Comment