Friday 22 March 2024

God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you. – 2 Thessalonians 1:6

Today's Scripture Reading (March 22, 2024): 2 Thessalonians 1 & 2

Can I begin by asking a few questions? Do we believe that God is righteous and moral? Maybe more to the point, do you believe God expects the Christian Church to be righteous and moral? Or are other strategies or policies more important to him, like the economy and immigration? What is it that the Christian Church believes?

There is a reason I ask these questions. Once upon a time, back in the olden days, which I remember because I am olden, there was a President named Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton did many good things during the eight years he was President. But I am willing to bet that you remember very few of those things. But I know what you do remember. If I asked you what speech you remember about John F. Kennedy, it is probably the Man on the Moon speech, "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard" (John F. Kennedy). It was a great speech that we still remember decades later. I couldn't even read when Kennedy gave the speech, yet we still remember Kennedy's words. If I asked you what speech you remember from Martin Luther King, most likely your answer is, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" (Martin Luther King). So, which Bill Clinton speech do you remember? I know which one I remember. "I did not have sex with that woman." I am not saying that Bill Clinton did no good when he was in the White House, but that is what I remember. As Christians, we, including me, came down hard against Clinton for what we saw as a moral lapse. It was important to us, and I think it should have been. One of the results of Clinton's behavior turned into a very public discussion about the definition of sex.

In 2018, a different President sat in the White House. I listened to Franklin Graham talking about the benefits of the economy and the help that the recent tax revision would give businesses. And yes, I heard him declare that the President, who was on his third marriage and has had numerous affairs, was a changed man. But at the same time, the President even called certain nations of Africa, as someone translated at the time, poo-poo houses. At the time, the occupant of the White House had a struggle with the truth that was far beyond the struggle that most politicians seem to have with what is true. And I began to wonder, does the church stand up for what is morally right all the time, or does that only work when a Democrat occupies the White House?

I remember another Franklin Graham interview, this one was with Don Lemon when Lemon was still with CNN, and after being bullied by Lemon, who was quoting more scripture that he remembered from his Baptist Sunday School days than the celebrated evangelist, Graham argued that the President was a changed man. Still, the problem is that we weren't seeing the change.

The day after the Franklin Graham Interview, I began compiling my notes for an upcoming speaking opportunity. I wrote about a church that had turned its back on economic growth and had suffered because it had decided to follow a morality that flowed out of the Character of Jesus Christ. It didn't matter that following Jesus meant even that following would cost them economically and politically. The content of the character was of prime importance. It is the story of the early church.

It is not that I do not believe in mercy. But God will not be mocked. We believe that the day is coming when God will separate the sheep and the goats, and goats in sheep's clothing will still be goats. There must be a fundamental shift in the content of our character in Christ. I am no longer who I once was. I am someone who knows he needs God's forgiveness and mercy. My righteousness is not enough. I get that this is an uncomfortable truth. But a day will come, as Jesus described in the "Sermon on the Mount."

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (Matthew 7:21-23)

Sometimes, what we seem to lose in the translation is that Christianity is more than a prayer. It is more than simply asking to receive Jesus into our hearts. And I get that that is hard for some of you to hear, but if Christ is truly in your life, you will become a different person. He will change the content of your character.

As I read these words of Paul, I was reminded that he was once the one who had caused harm to the Christian Community, that he had been the author of the persecution like what was now being visited on the Thessalonian Church. And if things had remained unchanged, he would have been on the wrong side of God's wrath. But Paul knew God's mercy.

What I wish Franklin Graham had done a little more forcibly in his interview was to ignore the economic and political gains and maybe more forcibly declare the church to be a moral institution. We do not believe that having an affair is a positive moment in your life. We believe that promiscuity is dangerous. And when we are talking about immigration, we are not speaking about whether the immigrant comes from Norway or a poo-poo house nation. We stand with Martin Luther King and believe that the content of our character is more important than the color of our skin every time. And we serve a just God who is more concerned with our character than any political or economic stand that we  might want to take.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: 2 Thessalonians 3

No comments:

Post a Comment