Thursday 18 January 2024

For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted. – Luke 14:11

Today's Scripture Reading (January 18, 2024): Luke 14

How important are you? Who is it that you rank above in your circle of acquaintances? Who is just above you? If you had to speak for yourself, what are your strengths and weaknesses? Okay, I admit I'm not too fond of any of those questions, especially that last one, partially because I never get the answers right. I know I should know where my weaknesses are and where my strengths might be, but I often find that I don't. I am me, a highly complex person who is trying to make his way through this life. But sometimes, these questions are asked, even if our inner voice is the only one asking them.

As Jesus came to the Pharisee's house, he first noticed that they were lining up according to who was the most important in the room and then who was next in significance. The invitees struggle with where they fit in the grand scenario with the other guests. It doesn't sound much different from my life in junior high school. Who is it that gets to sit next to the popular people in the room?

Jesus looks at these people lining up based on importance and argues they are asking the wrong question. The argument shouldn't be about who is the greatest but rather about who is the least and placing themselves in that conversation.

As I thought about this, my mind kept returning to Mother Theresa. A few years before she died, Mother Teresa was interviewed by a Western reporter. Proud of his opportunity to hear the words of this living saint, he had gathered together what he thought were the essential questions. How much did Teresa really know about how the world felt about her?

So, he asked his first well-thought-out question: What is it like to be famous? She responded, "I feel closer to God when I am with my friends, the poor and dying on the streets of Calcutta." It wasn't the answer the reporter sought, but he quickly decided to move on to his second question.

What is it like to be revered? Teresa responded, "I feel closer to God when I am holding onto my friends." The reporter was not getting the answers he wanted, but he pushed on asking his third question. What is it like to win the Nobel Peace Prize? Mother Theresa simply answered, "I just want to be a pencil in the hand of my God."

The frustrated interviewer looked at Mother Theresa and asked; But what about You? Mother Theresa looked back at him and said, "It's not about me; it's about God."

Those are the words that haunt me. I have seen people do great acts of service in the church, I have watched as they went on short and long-term mission trips, and I have seen them take the positions of the least, but when it came down to it, it wasn't about God; it was still about them.

The reality of Jesus's statement is that this has to become not about you. If this is about you, then you are not seeking the least. But if we allow life to become not about us, only then will God be able to lift us up.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Luke 15

No comments:

Post a Comment