Sunday 10 September 2023

I was angry with my people and desecrated my inheritance; I gave them into your hand, and you showed them no mercy. Even on the aged you laid a very heavy yoke. – Isaiah 47:6

Today's Scripture Reading (September 10, 2023): Isaiah 47

Mark Twain always seemed to have some gem of wisdom to inflict on our lives. I have several favorites, but maybe the quote I have used, or more likely paraphrased, the most is this one; "When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." It was phrased a little differently when I was entering college, but I remember my freshman Psychology professor articulating the same concept this way. "Sophomore students are important because they see God. Junior Students are important because they have heard of God. Seniors are important because they think they understand God. Professors are important because they talk to God. And the Freshman students, of course, are God." The story is meant to drive home the idea that we often find more reason for arrogance when we know less. And there is a lot of truth in the statement. My Psychology Professor strongly believed that the surest we would ever be about any of the psychological principles we were about to learn and discuss would be in the opening days of our education. In Psychology, and I would say this is also true for Theology, the outcome of more study is more questions, not more knowledge. Certainty is for other pursuits, but for Psychologists and Theologians, we are multiplying our questions if we are doing our job. And I think that is okay because we are saved by faith, not knowledge.

God had handed Israel into the hands of the Babylonians, but the Babylonians didn't seem to realize this reality. And they had reacted to their captives without mercy. Even the elderly Israelites were given tasks that were beyond them. The people were driven hard, which was beyond what God wanted for his people. God expected mercy from the Babylonians, but he didn't receive it. When Cyrus defeated Babylon, he became known as a king who was interested in justice and compassion, so Cyrus was seen as a man of righteousness.

But as I struggle with this passage, the bigger question for me is, where does the Christian Church stand in terms of mercy? Oh, sometimes we extend it. But I am afraid some sections of the population never hear a message of compassion and justice from us. The LGBTQ community is one group that comes to mind as people who never see that aspect of Christianity. And I wonder if there will be some harsh words between God and his church at the end of all things about the mercy that we didn't give to those who were brought into our circles of Influence.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 48

No comments:

Post a Comment