Tuesday 1 August 2023

Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us. – Psalm 137:8

Today's Scripture Reading (August 1, 2023): Psalm 137

Psalm 137 is, at times, hauntingly beautiful and yet filled with desperation and loss. It is a psalm that protests against the song or the Psalm. Maybe, Psalm 137 is a new music genre poured out like salve on hurting and desperate people. It is a protest by people who are too sad to dance to all those around them who want them to make merry. And the Psalm, in its final breath, becomes a problematic cry for revenge instead of love.

Peter Rollins is an Irish Philosopher who believes that every good band needs a breakup song. Every good band needs a song that deals with the pain and confusion that we know that life brings. Rollins even suggests that every good Worship Team needs to know at least one breakup song that makes sense of their music. It started me wondering what the breakup song of the musicians that I enjoy playing with might be. It is a little ironic that the writings of a songwriter proclaiming that there can be no song in Babylon really became the breakup song of the exiles in Babylon; it became a song sung in the night when the darkness closes in, and there is no room for hope. For Israel, Psalm 137 was the required breakup song.

But in Psalm 137, the darkness finally defeats the song. With the last breath of his song, the pain won out over compassion, and the author curses his enemies. Often this is the natural order. But in problematic passages like these, it is often good to remember that Jesus bore his own scars of the night on his body yet found a way to bless even his enemies.

Many years ago, I was asked to write a song for a convention that was taking place in Central Alberta, Canada. And I was given the theme of the conference, which was hope, and the key bible verse for the weekend, Jeremiah 29:11. Now, Psalm 137, "By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion" (Psalm 137:1), and the writings of Jeremiah are really cousins. Both were written at about the same time and speak about the same thing, the exile of Israel and a time when darkness reigned for the children of God. But I think Jeremiah 29:11 belongs with a group of the most abused scriptures because we like to remove the verse from its context. This is what Jeremiah 29:11 says. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11). But this was not a short time prophecy. Too often, I think that we believe that this verse is speaking of a short-term hope, maybe a hope for next month, next year, or the year after that. But the words of Jeremiah were being spoken to a generation of Israelites who were in darkness now and would die amid that same darkness. There was a plan, Israel would be restored, and the Messiah would come, but they would not see any of that happen. 

None of that was essential. What was important was that God promised he would still be there even in the darkness. And his song would shine out in the night. I know that God can do miracles in the darkness. But maybe one of the biggest miracles is that he sustains us during the long, dark night.

I don't know what you are going through, but I know that God can change your reality. Jeremiah was right. God's plan is that he will give us hope and a future. But for Israel, as they met by the rivers of Babylon, that meant that he would actively sustain them and place his song inside them throughout the long night ahead. Babylon was doomed for destruction, but it wouldn't be Israel or God that would send them there. Babylon would do that to herself.

The song I wrote for that conference all those years ago was entitled "You Have Destined Good" and had a prayer for the chorus.

            So, let your holy wind blow across my path

            Let your fire from heaven fall on me

            I know that trials will come, but you will lift me up

            Because you have destined good for me (You Have Destined Good, Garry Mullen, 2002).

God is still the one who gives us a song in the night. Some experts think that maybe Jeremiah wrote Psalm 137, but I lean toward Ezekiel. And I think Ezekiel gives us a clue to the authorship of Psalm 137 in his prophetic book.

The Spirit then lifted me up and took me away, and I went in bitterness and in the anger of my spirit, with the strong hand of the Lord on me. I came to the exiles who lived at Tel Abib near the Kebar River. And there, where they were living, I sat among them for seven days—deeply distressed" (Ezekiel 3:14-15).

Maybe we can add to Ezekiel's comments – and it was in the night that God gave me a song.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 50

No comments:

Post a Comment