Thursday 9 March 2023

Then the LORD will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory will be a canopy. – Isaiah 4:5

Today's Scripture Reading (March 9, 2023): Isaiah 4

"Have you noticed how many people who walk in the shade curse the Sun?" The quote is from Afghan writer Idries Shah (1924-1996), who also wrote under his pen name Arkon Daraul. Shah is one of the people I wish I could sit down with to discuss some of the things he said. When I was in university in my early twenties, I was working with the writings of George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), who died a decade before I was born. At the time, he was someone else with whom I wished that I could have a conversation. And then, one night, I did. Well, kind of. Obviously, I was dreaming; the stress of an upcoming exam on "St. Joan" was probably the reason why I had the dream, but I actually felt that my subconscious was trying to help me understand the Irish playwright. Maybe I need the same with Idries Shah.

I am one of those who love the sun. Nothing is better than sitting in a hot environment with a good book on my lap and a beautiful waterfront to gaze at in those moments when I am not reading the pages. But I also have good friends who curse the sun. Sometimes, they just don't like the heat that comes from the sun. Sometimes, there are health issues that the sun aggravates. But the reality is that life only exists because of the presence of the sun. For those who like to walk in the shade, sometimes we need the reminder that life doesn't exist without the sun. And during the day, despite clouds that might block the sun or the trees that create the shade, you can't miss the sun's presence in the sky. And at night, the sun reflects off our moon, allowing us to see the satellite as it makes its way across the night sky.

Isaiah says that the day is coming when the presence of God will be tangible. God will be as obvious and present as the sun in the sky. It won't matter whether or not you believe; you will know that God is there. And then Isaiah uses an image taken from the wilderness wandering of Israel after they left Egypt. Exodus describes it this way.

By day the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people (Exodus 13:21-22).

God was present with his people then, and Isaiah believes it will be like that again.

Tomorrow's Scripture Reading: Isaiah 5

No comments:

Post a Comment