Monday 16 April 2018

And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. – 1 John 3:23


Today’s Scripture Reading (April 16, 2018): 1 John 3

My paternal grandfather was big on the idea of keeping the family name going. He wanted his Mullen heritage to passed down through the generations; he wanted his family name to be given to his children. And he did his part. Grandpa Mullen had two sons, Duane (my father) and Walden, to carry on the Mullen name. The next generation wasn’t as kind to my Grandfathers ambition. Of his four grandchildren, only one was a male (me). Oh, don’t get me wrong, my grandfather lavished his love on all of his grandchildren; there is no question that he adored his granddaughters, but only one of us would carry on the name. And so as I married and began to have children, the pressure was on. Our firstborn was a girl, Alyssa. My Grandfather loved his great-granddaughter, but he was still hoping for a boy. And the boy came with our second child, Craig. I proudly called my grandfather to announce the happy news. His Mullen name would be carried on for at least one more generation. Grandpa would die in a household accident just a little over a year after that phone call, but I am so glad that he lived long enough to greet and hold his great-grandson.

As I write these words, my son and his wife are expecting their first child. And in the waiting time, at this moment when we don’t yet know whether they will have a boy or a girl, I find my thoughts drifting back to my grandfather, wondering if there will be one more boy to carry on his name through one more generation.

Of course, I am also painfully aware that the name doesn’t mean anything unless we do something positive with it. It is one of the worries that I have had over the years and a worry I still maintain today. Am I a positive example of the Mullen name. Do I bring honor or dishonor to the family of my grandfather? It is a heavy weight to bear, and I am afraid that, at times, I have not weathered up well to the name. And so I try a little harder to carry on with honor and dignity the name that my grandfather has left me.

John says that we have been commanded to do two things. The first is to believe in Jesus, although he phrases it this way – to believe in the Name of Jesus. The Name is important. We sing that there is Power in the Name. Speaking the Name is important because it is one way that we bring honor to Jesus, we perpetuate his Name. The second command that John insists has been left to us is to love each other. In actuality, the two are connected. We bear the name of Christ; we are called Christians. And Christians often have a bad reputation in this world for one reason. I can’t explain why, but we often refuse to love one another. Sometimes we want to put restrictions on that love. The command is to “love one another” which means love other Christians. But to believe in this limited form of love means that we have to ignore Jesus’s parable of “The Good Samaritan.” But even if we do accept that limited definition, we don’t even seem to love other Christians well. Christ commands that we love those who love us and those who hate us. We love when it is easy and when it is hard. We love those who agree with our political stance and those who oppose it. When we have to protest, we do not do it with hate and with guns, but we choose nonviolent forms of protest so that we can get our message across. Again, straight from the words of Jesus, we are instructed to be the ones who turn the other cheek and walk the extra mile.

And as we do this, we bring honor to the name of the Son, the one in whom we believe.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 John 4


No comments:

Post a Comment