Tuesday 9 January 2018

Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. – 1 Corinthians 8:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 9, 2018): 1 Corinthians 8 & 9

Author and humorist Mark Twain commented that “I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn’t know.” We have lost the idea that sometimes it is okay not to know. One thing that I want those around me to understand is that I do not know everything. Life is often made up of ambiguities and grey areas. A good friend of mine would not understand that statement. She lives in a very black and white world where there is an obligation to either know the answer or go and find it. But for me, too often I find the search for answers only reveals more questions. And so “I don’t know” has become an essential phrase.

Much of the doctrine that we hold to is really not all that sure. For instance, I live in a world where Christians seem to believe in a rapture of the saints that is to take place before the coming of the great tribulation. The “Left Behind” series of novels is built on the premise, and yet I find precious little evidence for the doctrine in the Bible that could not be interpreted another way. As much as this idea has become part of the fabric of the church, it is not a sure doctrine. Same-Sex attraction has become a lightning rod in the church and a shibboleth question that reveals whether or not you are indeed a Christian, yet a survey of the biblical commands once again reveal ambiguity and greyness. Please note, I am not saying that a pre-tribulation rapture is not the truth, or that acting out on same-sex attraction is not sin, but the reality is that I believe that the Bible in both areas is a little more ambiguous than we are willing to admit. The best answer I can give you to either of these questions, even in a culture that declares its confidence in knowing the answers, is that I don’t know. What is even more disturbing for some around me is that, because there is greyness, I am not sure that God cares whether or not I arrive at the right answer.

And I believe that this is precisely what Paul is trying to tell us. For the early church, this idea of eating food offered to idols was a big deal. Complicating the matter was the fact that it probably sometimes seemed that most of the meat that was obtainable by the people had at some point been offered in sacrifice to an idol. There were those who went to great lengths in making sure that they did not eat meat that had been prepared in this way. It didn’t matter if Zeus did not exist; food that had been offered to him could not be consumed. They held this knowledge in high regard, looking down on those who were not as careful. Their knowledge had caused pride which formed a barrier between them and others. But, in the end, it was love that suffered and love that was missing. This was one of the fundamental problems of the Church at Corinth. They prided themselves on what they knew about sin, and so had long ago stopped loving.

Paul reverses the expectation. If there was a choice to be made between knowing and loving, always err on the side of loving. If your knowledge of sin has created a barrier between you and others “caught in sin,” then maybe it is time to lose the knowledge so that you can love. Knowledge will puff you up and make you proud, but only love can build you up and make you a better person.

Just about a year ago I found myself attending a Hindu service in a Temple that exists just across the street from the church that I pastor. I watched as they worshippers brought their offering of fruit to various gods on the platform at the front of the room. I waited, later, as that fruit was taken away. And then as the fruit was cut up and passed around the room to the worshippers. As the fruit came to me, I remembered Paul’s words. The fruit had been offered to gods other than the one that I worship. But I also knew that Paul had said that wherever there is a battle between knowledge and love, err on the side of love. And so I graciously ate the fruit that was presented to me – an act of love for my Hindu neighbors. Love could demand nothing less – and even with all of my knowledge, I could give nothing more. If I were to err, it would not be because of what I knew. It would be because I was determined to love.   

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 10

No comments:

Post a Comment