Monday 18 December 2017

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. – James 2:10


Today’s Scripture Reading (December 18, 2017): James 2

Tamora Pierce in “Melting Stones” remarks that Every now and then I like to do as I'm told, just to confuse people.” I get that. As a people, we have a checkered relationship with obedience. I know that I don’t like rules, often because I can’t figure out what the rules are supposed to accomplish, or because I don’t trust the ones who created the rules in the first place. So I break them. As a result, I get the reputation of being a rebel, or a purveyor of unconventional ministry, which is essentially the same thing. I have often argued that I have nothing against tradition, I just don’t like tradition that doesn’t make any sense.

But, as a Christian, there comes the point when I recognize that what God has decreed must have a purpose. That doesn’t mean that I don’t push at the edges. I want to obey because I trust God. But I also want it to make sense, to understand the why behind the command. Sometimes the why is obvious, and at other times I need to wrestle with the Scripture so that I come to a place of understanding, and therefore, real obedience.

And then we come crashing into James’s letter. The intent behind this verse is one that I continually hear in the words of the people with whom I am in contact. Is it not true that to break one law is to break them all? And the qualified answer is yes. But then comes the other shoe. The quotation of James 2:10, intended or unintentional, always seems to come with someone’s agenda sticking out of it. Recently, it was Sunday worship that was the agenda behind the quote. Isn’t the Sabbath Saturday? Of course. Then why do we worship on Sunday? And here we have the struggle toward understanding. The command to keep the Sabbath Day holy was the only one that Jesus did not quote during his ministry because it was a commandment that we twisted and misused. As a Christian Church, we have struggled to honor “The Lord’s Day,” or the Day that Jesus rose from the dead as our day of worship; which is Sunday. In this, we are following what we believe is the intent of the law and what became the practice of the early church, especially the Gentile church. So does that mean that because we are disobeying the Sabbath commandment and, according to James, therefore the whole law? I don’t think so. We are obeying it as we understand it to be.

James command is important because he is arguing that, when it comes to God, we cannot selectively obey the commands of God. But that does not mean that we obey without understanding. Obeying without understanding is legalism. So we obey as we understand, knowing that if we stumble, we are covered by the incredible grace of God.

I am sure that we are getting it wrong somewhere, but as long as we are struggling to understand and not listening selectively, I believe that his grace covers us. That does not mean that we no longer fight and strive to obey. Obedience is part of our Christianity. But we obey as we gain understanding as to why this is important, knowing that if we stumble and violate all of the law, that the grace of Jesus covers us – and that he still loves us. What more could we want?

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: James 3


No comments:

Post a Comment