Sunday 24 September 2017

One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.” – Luke 11:1


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 24, 2017): Luke 11

I understand Abraham Lincoln’s words when he said, “I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” It seems that I am constantly found in that same position where “my own wisdom … seems insufficient for the day.” It is in these moments that my words also seem inadequate, even in my prayers. It is at these times that I want to sit quietly and let my heart, often broken, communicate with God. The struggles of life often seem too much, and we need to be reminded that we do not see everything, but that God does see even what it is that has been hidden from our eyes.

Luke 11 starts off with his version of what we know of as “The Lord’s Prayer.” But in Luke, the situation changes slightly. In Matthew 6, which contains the more widely known version of the prayer, the text forms just one part of a much longer teaching which we know of as “The Sermon on the Mount.” But in Luke, it is the disciples that start the conversation. Jesus, teach us to pray. What are the words that we should use when we have run out of words? What do we say when we have nothing to say? What do we do when our own wisdom seems insufficient for the day?

Lord, teach us to pray. What follows Is Jesus answer to the disciple’s question? The words that can be used when we run out of words. It is not a formula for how to get what you want out of God, but just a way to keep our prayers in line with him. Whenever we run out of words and our wisdom is insufficient for the moment, just remember that he is Father, that his purpose is to bring Heaven down to earth, that he knows our needs, and forgives our sins. And because we are the forgiven, we become the carriers of forgiveness to a world that needs forgiveness more than it needs anything else.

When you run out of words, pray these words – and then sit silently before God and wonder how you can become God hands and feet in your community, and with the people that you meet every day.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Matthew 8

No comments:

Post a Comment