Wednesday 28 June 2017

Therefore my people will know my name; therefore in that day they will know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, it is I.” – Isaiah 52:6


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 28, 2017): Isaiah 52

Know thyself. The two words make up a Greek proverb that encourages to know our limitations. In a world that is dominated by Social Media, which allows us to be much more than we really are, the proverb is a challenge. Not only do we not know ourselves and not understand our own limitations, but we also have become the repositories of truth. The words “I don’t know” have become almost unacceptable in our society. We are expected to know, supposed to have an opinion. After all, truth resides inside of you.

Except that it doesn’t. I know of the things of which I am convinced are true, but I don’t necessarily know the truth. I am convinced that climate change is due in large part to, at least, the existence of human race if not the actions of the human race. I have friends who are convinced that climate change is solely due to the presence of cows (yes, that may be an overstatement), or at the least, that man has very little to do with the climate disaster that seems to be knocking on our planets door. Both of us cannot be right, and both cannot be in possession of truth. Both (and I do include myself in this) believe that we are in possession of the truth – that we are the experts. Having said that, I am not a climatologist, and I have no friends in that area of expertise. I have done a menial research, listened to others expound on the subject, and have made up my mind – my truth. It is only in the discipline of knowing myself that I can admit that I might not be right; that there might be situations to which I do not, and cannot, know the truth.

The discipline of knowing ourselves is one that most of us never really master. In 1750, Benjamin Franklin, in his “Poor Richard’s Almanack,” remarked on the hard task of truly knowing yourself. He writes that "There are three things extremely hard; Steel, a Diamond, and to know one's self." And yet, the task of knowing me, and knowing my limitations, seems to be the beginning of understanding anything else.

God speaks through Isaiah and says, in that day (indicating some future experience) my people will know me. They will speak my name and know my truth because on that day all of the things that were foretold will come to fruition. And it might be at that moment that his people will also come to know themselves because they will realize both what is important to God and that they are important to God. In the midst of the exile, that concept of God caring for his people had been lost.

But that idea would not be lost forever. The day would come when the followers of God would undoubtedly know his name and his voice. At that moment, to paraphrase John Newton, I will understand the core of all truth. That I am a great sinner and that he is a great Savior – because I have finally come face to face with him. And it will only be at that moment that I will finally know truth – and myself.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Isaiah 53

No comments:

Post a Comment