Sunday 1 January 2017

Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the LORD will be my light. – Micah 7:8



Today’s Scripture Reading (January 1, 2017): Micah 7

“Help. I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up.” The Lifeline commercial of almost three decades ago still causes many to laugh. The situation portrayed in the commercial was actually a very serious one, but unfortunately, the ad was unintentionally campy and suffered from poor acting. The advertisement was not designed to be funny, and that probably made it even more entertaining. Of course, parodies rocketed through various comedic routines and sitcoms, all of which featured the phrase “I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up” or variations (sometimes rude) on that theme. And the phrase entered into our North American culture.

Micah sends out a warning for all those who would take Israel lightly. The nation may have fallen on hard times, but this was not the end of the story. Israel would rise. Her strength would return to her, and she would rule once again. God would not allow his children to fall, never to get back up. But for the Christian Church, the second phrase of Micah’s comment is crucial. Although Israel sat in darkness, there was one coming who would be her strength. This is a Messianic expectation. The Messiah would come and he would by the light that would break Israel’s darkness.

Of course, as a church, we believe that the Messiah has come. And he continues to be our light, even in times of darkness. Jesus is here, and because of that the world – every part of it, which includes but is not limited to Israel, has hope.

2017 has dawned. I have no idea what kind of a year this is going to be, but I am sure that the light of the Messiah will go before us. He will be our light and our salvation. I am certain this year that there will be times when things will not go our way – times when we will want to scream that we have fallen and can’t get up. But I also know that even then we will rise. This world cannot keep us down because we go in the strength and the light of the Messiah.

And because of him, nothing else really matters.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Isaiah 8

No comments:

Post a Comment