Tuesday 6 December 2016

I will plant her for myself in the land; I will show my love to the one I called ‘Not my loved one.’ I will say to those called ‘Not my people,’ ‘You are my people’; and they will say, ‘You are my God.’” Hosea 2:23



Today’s Scripture Reading (December 6, 2016): Hosea 2 & 3

Tim McGraw’s “Better Than I Used to Be” somehow rings true with human experience, and maybe especially the Christian experience.

I ain't no angel
I still got a still few more dances with the devil
I’m cleanin' up my act, little by little
I’m getting there
I can finally stand the man in the mirror I see
I ain’t as good as I’m gonna get
But I’m better than I used to be

I think that we forget that the church is filled with people who are essentially “used to be’s” of various forms. And for most of them, God didn’t wave some magic wand and make them different holy and set apart for him. For most, it has been an uphill climb. And yes, they are still dancing with the devil, still stuck in the middle of their habits and imperfections, even though they might not admit it in your presence. The Christian Church is imperfect because it is made up of people just like me – and I know that I am imperfect. I am working on it, with the help of God, and I am becoming a “used to be.” And the process started with my understanding of how God saw me.

The grand social experiment of Hosea is nearing its conclusion. He has married a woman who he knew would be unfaithful to him. He had children, who were given significant names. One, a daughter, he named Lo-Ruhamah, which means “not loved.” To a son, he gives the name Lo-Ammi, which means “not my people” (I am wondering if Hosea paid for the future psychiatric counseling his kids would need.) All of this was providing an image to Israel of the road that they were traveling down. Maybe it was a picture of how Israel perceived their status before God. They were unloved, and not part of God’s people – how could it be any other way, they were separated from the Temple of God which was in Jerusalem, in the Kingdom of Judah.

But suddenly, God instructs Hosea to show his love to the one he called ‘not loved.” And to the one that he named “not my people,” assure him that he is part of the clan. No matter how much Israel believed that they were unloved and separated from the people of God, the message of God remained steady – they were loved by God, and he still called them his.

God still loves you, and you are still his – no matter what it is that you are feeling right now. The changing of a name in ancient times is more significant than we can imagine from our contemporary perspective. But God has changed your name. He has called you “Loved” and “His.” A number years ago I wrote a song called “Change My Name.” So let me sign off with the chorus of that song.

            Change my name, O Lord; I am not who I used to be.
            Because of You, I am becoming the one You intended me to be.
            Change my name, O Lord.  I need You to carry me with You.
            And you can use this broken life, restored as only You can do.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Hosea 4

No comments:

Post a Comment