Monday 28 September 2015

The Israelites said to Moses, “We will die! We are lost, we are all lost! Anyone who even comes near the tabernacle of the LORD will die. Are we all going to die?” – Numbers 17:12-13


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 28, 2015): Numbers 17

Politicians quickly learn that what they say often begins to have a life of its own. As a speaker, I am often amazed at what it is that I say that finds root in someone life – and often not in a good way. I was recently questioned about whether I was a racist because I spoke about the pentatonic scale being played on the black keys of a piano – and that African American spirituals can be played on just the black keys. But I also openly wondered about the hymn “Amazing Grace” written by John Newton, a white slave trader. I wondered if just maybe the tune for this awesome song was taken from the slaves that Newton once transported from Africa to the Caribbean. Because “Amazing Grace” is a white spiritual – it is built around a pentatonic scale and can be played on just the black keys of the piano.

But the consequence of my words is that someone thought that I was racist. It wasn’t intended. But it was how my words had been interpreted. And I needed to re-evaluate my words. How can it be phrased differently? I know it was not my intention, but I want to make sure that I am not being misunderstood. (Unfortunately, to stop being misunderstood I might have to stop speaking – and writing.)  

We fear consequences. And actually this is a good thing. People who have no connection between an action and consequence are often sociopaths causing much damage to themselves and to others in our society. Proverbs repeatedly tell us that “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” But it is often not the Lord that we fear, it is the consequences of the Lord that scare us. And there were consequences to the Korah rebellion. The consequences were severe. The rebellion cost those who participated in the rebellion, and those that sympathized with the rebellion, their lives. And the rest of the community feared God because of the consequences. What they didn’t do was have a deep change of heart – and we know that because they kept on coming back to Moses and Aaron with an attitude of rebellion. Once the fear of the consequences had eased, they returned to the same rebellious place of the soul.

One of the eternal biblical truths is this - we can’t turn away from something without filling the emptiness that is left, or what we turned away from will just return and take its place once again in our lives. This was the experience of Israel. They turned away from rebellion, they swept their lives clean, but they did not take on the things of God in its place. And the fear of the consequences of God dissipated and the rebellion returned.

Misunderstandings happen. And I hate consequences. But I believe that if I fill the emptiness with Jesus, then the love that he brings into my life will win out over the misunderstandings. But if I leave the emptiness then I might as well be silent, because nothing good is going to come from my words.          

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Numbers 18

No comments:

Post a Comment