Thursday 27 August 2015

He shall offer them before the LORD to make atonement for her, and then she will be ceremonially clean from her flow of blood. – Leviticus 12:7


Today’s Scripture Reading (August 27, 2015): Leviticus 12

Black lives matter. There is something incredibly sad about the phrase. Maybe it is simply that we live in a culture where we actually need to speak those words. It seems to be me that this is such a simple truth. And it is not just that Black lives matter, it is all life. I almost hate, at times, to turn on my computer (most of the news that I read I find online) and read about the murders in Baltimore, or the shootings in Chicago, or maybe an increase in violence in New York’s Central Park. Black lives matter! White lives matter! Yellow lives matter! Red lives matter! Brown lives matter! Whatever shade of life you might be – you matter. Life is precious and in whatever form we might find it, it matters.

So I struggle with this passage in the Law. I love a lot of what David Guzik writes on the Bible, but I have to admit that I shuddered when I read his words on this verse. According to Guzik (and he is definitely not the only one who takes this stand on this passage), “This was a fairly standard sacrifice for atonement, holding the woman symbolically responsible for bringing another sinner into this world. The required sacrifice was the same for her who has borne a male or a female.” Those words “holding a woman symbolically responsible for bringing another sinner into this world” somehow shake me to my core. I understand that this fits perfectly with David’s words Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me (Psalm 51:5), but maybe we need to give David a poetic break here. These words are written as a confession for his sins with Bathsheba – there is little doubt that in this moment David probably felt like the worst sinner on the planet (and this should be a great source of hope for Josh Duggar as he deals with the uncomfortable place that he finds himself in.) I guess what I don’t understand is that God commands Noah and his family (and descendants) to be fruitful and increase in number; multiply on the earth and increase upon it” (Genesis 9:7) but then at the same time says that he will hold women accountable for following his direct command. To me, it just doesn’t make sense.

But I think that there may be another explanation. I am convinced that God’s grace is always extended to us long before we need it. God’s grace is primary, it is first and it is “original.” There is no sin that we can commit where God’s grace has not already gone before us. And maybe this atonement is symbolic of that grace. The child will grow, and the child will fail, but the atonement has already been paid. I mean, isn’t this similar to what we already believe about the atonement of Jesus – that he has already paid in full for the sins of each one of us. He has died so that we might be at one with God. And maybe, just maybe, what Jesus did on the cross on a global scale, moms did on a personal scale within Mosaic Law – they paid the atonement price in advance. After all, life – all of it – matters.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Leviticus 13

No comments:

Post a Comment