Friday 17 July 2015

During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, “Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the LORD as you have requested. Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me.” – Exodus 12:31-32


Today’s Scripture Reading (July 17, 2015): Exodus 12

I am really not sure that I want to speak for God or with the authority of God. I have a ton of ideas, but I am not sure that any of them are God-worthy. One of the phrases that I know people expect out of me is “thus saith the Lord,” but the words don’t easily roll off of my tongue. Maybe I have just heard too many Christians speak to me about the mind and words of God, and I am pretty sure that their “thus saith the Lord” is a fiction that they have made up in their own minds. The only thing that I am willing to say that I believe is a “thus saith the Lord” moment is that God loves you and he expects us to love each other. Beyond that, well, like I said, I have ideas.

Before Moses, I am not sure that Pharaoh had any doubt about what was on the mind of his gods. He could have extolled people on the subject for hours on what was important – and who was important – and who wasn’t. And early in the fight with Moses, his wise men were able to match the holy man of God step for step. But eventually they fell behind, and they stopped even showing up in the presence of the Pharaoh. Some have speculated that maybe they had died – possibly from the infection that followed the plague of boils. Pharaoh was left alone – a god of Egypt confronting a spokesman of the God of the slaves who worked his empire. And after every battle, Pharaoh was sure that the next battle would be his – no God of a race of slaves was bigger than he was.

But after the plague of the firstborn, something changed. Pharaoh had lost his will to fight the next battle. He just didn’t care about this troublesome race of slaves anymore. He conceded the battle to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. And now he kicks the Israelites out of his country just as God said he would (in Exodus 11:1 God tells Moses that after this last plague Pharaoh would drive him and the people of Israel out of the country – and that is exactly what Pharaoh is doing.)

But it is more than that, Pharaoh is admitting defeat. He does not just eject Israel from Egypt, he wants Israel to pray that their God would bless him – a request that he would never have considered asking for earlier in the story. Pharaoh admits that even though he is god, he stands in need of the blessing of the God of Israel – Pharaoh had been broken.

And sometimes that is what it takes for all of us. I don’t believe that all of the bad stuff in life comes from God. I know that I am fully capable of destroying my own life. But God can use the mistakes that I make of my own free will to draw me closer to him. When I am broken, those are the moments that I most clearly understand my need of God. And it is not that I can speak for him. Like Pharaoh, I simply need to stand and ask for his blessing.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Exodus 13

No comments:

Post a Comment