Monday 8 June 2015

Listen to me, my lord; the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver, but what is that between you and me? Bury your dead. – Genesis 23:15


Today’s Scripture Reading (June 8, 2015): Genesis 23

When I was a teen I remember a trip I made across U.S Border into Mexico, specifically into Tijuana just across the border from San Diego. It was my first, and last time so far, journey into Mexico. Admittedly, I understand that Tijuana does not represent Mexico well, but it was exciting to go and visit the Mexican city. One of the things that I remember in Tijuana at the time was the street vendors selling their wares. I was a kid, but I wanted to buy something to remember the experience by. I decided on a brown leather hat that I thought looked good on me. I asked for the price. It was a little more than I really wanted to pay, but I wanted something from Mexico. Luckily, I think, a friend of the family stopped me from paying the price. In Tijuana, like in many parts of the world, buying something is delicate dance between the buyer and the seller. If I wanted my prize from Mexico, I needed to be willing to participate in the dance.

In the Northern portions of the American Continent, specifically in the United States and Canada, we stopped doing the dance a long time ago. Now people use the lack of a dance as an advertising slogan. The price is the price, no need to deal. Just pay the price, and stop all of that could silly dancing.

There is every evidence that Ephron and Abraham were participating in the age old dance of buying something. In the ancient world, the first step in the dance is for the seller to offer to give the item to the buyer. Then, according to custom, the buyer turns it down and insists on paying a fair price for the item. Then the seller continues the dance by asking a high price for what is to be sold. And everything points to the fact that four hundred shekels of silver was an extremely exorbitant price for the piece of land. Ephron’s comment “what is that between you and me” is actually a statement of the wealth of the two men. Abraham could afford it, but Ephron could afford to take a lot less for the land. But here Abraham decides to stop dancing. Abraham is not going to dicker over the price that Ephron wants for the land, not for a grave in which he is going to bury his wife. He will pay the price.

With many a friendship being ruined over money, many have argued that maybe Abraham’s dealings should be the Christian model for financial transactions. Unfortunately, too many churches and Christian leaders seem bent on getting a deal and being frugal with their money. And no, there is nothing wrong with that unless it tarnishes our reputation so that no one wants to deal with us – which often results in us and our message being discarded, and that is too high a price to pay.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 24

No comments:

Post a Comment