Sunday 8 March 2015

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, To those who have been called, who are loved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ … - Jude 1:1



Today’s Scripture Reading (March 8, 2015): Jude

There are two discussion stoppers which I think should be removed from our speech. The first is to tell someone how much education that we have. First of all, if you have to tell me how much education you have, I sincerely doubt that the education has done you much good. The most educated people in my circle of influence have never told me how educated they are. Often it is by mere accident that I find out how and where they were educated. But their behavior and thought process often hints well to the level of education that they have attained. But, to be honest, I am little jaded. I had an undergrad professor who was known for parading his education around to anyone unfortunate enough to listen to him (and he passed away a few years ago.) He was educated in the best schools and had obtained some of the highest grades. Except that it wasn’t really true. He had attended some of the best schools, but had never graduated – an embarrassing little point that was found out when someone actually took the time to check on his education references. I would question my own education having been taught by him, except that I failed the only course I had taken with him. (Maybe now I can blame my failure on him. No, it is still my fault.)

The second discussion stopper that needs to be erased, especially from Christian language, is “God told me.” The problem with both of these statements is that they stop the conversation. I mean, what is the appropriate reply to either of these statements. I have to admit, I have tried “well, evidently God forgot to tell me” but that didn’t work out too well. There really is no reply to either one of these statements that is not insulting. And therein lies the problem. The discussion stops and the opportunity to learn is extinguished. I have often learned from people who have had less education than I have, and I believe that I have also taught people who possess more education than what I have been able to attain. But the only way that that happens is if we are willing to have open and honest dialogue with each other – not try to use our education like a sledgehammer to get our own way.

I do believe that God has spoken to me. But the proof of that is often in that someone else in my community (and usually several someone elses) have received the same message from God. We come together and we affirm together the direction in which God is leading us. But, again, it is only through open conversation that this direction can be discerned.

What follows next is really a lot of my personal opinion, but I have always found it interesting how Jude decides to introduce himself in this letter. He is the brother of James, most likely referring to James the Just who was the leader of the Church in Jerusalem at the time that this letter was written – and that, in and of itself, is a powerful connection. But He could have said more. Many people, generally Roman Catholics, believe that Jude was also one of the twelve disciples, possibly Thaddeaus although there is also a local tradition within Syria that Jude was Thomas – sometimes referred to as Judas Thomas. If that is true, Jude remains silent on the connection.

But there is an even more important connection that Jude omits in his opening. Jude was the half-brother of Jesus. The idea that he might be the disciple Thomas, at least partially, based on the idea that Thomas and Didymus, another name used for the Apostle Thomas, both mean twin. The thought is that this affectionate name implies that he was the brother of someone else in the apostolic group – and if it was this Jude, then his brother is none other than Jesus himself.

But that is not the authority that Jude claims for himself. I think that is because to claim that you are the half-brother of Jesus and another son of Mary is a discussion stopper, which is not the intention that Jude has for his short little letter. So Jude simply introduces himself as the brother of James, knowing that his readers will make the other connection anyway. And what Jude wants is to be part of the important discussion in the early church, and not to dogmatically form or change the church. The church did not belong Jude, it belonged to Jesus, and Jude was humbly content to be the servant of his oldest step-brother – and the brother of James.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 John 1

No comments:

Post a Comment