Monday 15 September 2014

… but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. – John 10:26


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 15, 2014): John 10

I am convinced that life should come with a “faith required” tag. Or maybe all of the lies of the past have just made us really cynical. And it is not just the people who believe that Adolf Hitler and Elvis are still alive (I saw them having coffee together in New York just last week. By the way, Hitler would be 125 years old while Elvis would be only be a spritely young age of 79.) But it amazes me the number of people who refuse to believe that man has ever walked on the moon, or even that such a simple thing as gravity exists (I was told recently that there is no Law of Gravity, only the Law of Repeated Events. It is not that there is an attraction between bodies, only that the apple will always fall down.) We seem to exist in an area of life where if we have not experienced an event first hand, or if it does not fit into our belief pattern, then we do not believe in its truth or reality. Faith in every area of life precedes knowledge. (Enter the Creation vs. Evolution debate. Both sides have long made up their mind long before the first salvos of the discussion are fired. They believe in what they have faith in [Creation or Evolution.] It is the only explanation that I can come up with why some extremely smart people hold some really stupid beliefs – ah, but that is probably just my faith shining through.)

If you are wondering where I stand on some of these major issues, I am a Science Fiction reader and there is nothing that intrigues me more than the thought that one day we might be able to travel through space. My faith, if you want to call it that, not only allows for the belief that we have already been to the moon, but for the possibility that even now we are planning to colonize Mars. That one day we will be able to mine much needed resources from the Asteroid Belt and that we will have a Jupiter base on the one of the many moons orbiting that planet – maybe even Ganymede. And someday, we will figure out how to travel faster than the speed of light and we will be able to visit other solar systems. But before belief comes faith.

I am a scientist and the wonders of this world are very real to me. I see a unique beauty in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution that a number of my colleagues seem to miss. My faith allows me to believe that minute changes accomplished over time can make a huge difference – and that the species separate and develop because of them. But my faith also knows the reality of God, and all that I know that God can do. I believe in evolution … but I love Jesus. And the thought that in the beginning God, through the person of Jesus Christ, used evolutionary techniques to mold our world, and ultimately us, to me is a very beautiful thing. My faith has taken me there. And the reality that I seem to understand in the world is not that without faith we can all believe what is rational and objective. The reality is that without faith we can believe in nothing.

Jesus says that in spite of all of the evidence that he is the Christ, the Son of Living God come down from heaven, some do not believe because they are not his sheep – they have no faith in him. As much as we may want to argue logically for God, the cold hard truth is that no one will find God who is unwilling to first take a step of faith in him. And this does not just pertain to God, but to everything that we believe in life. Faith must come first before we can see the truth in anything.

 Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Luke 10

No comments:

Post a Comment