Sunday 26 January 2014

My people, what have I done to you? How have I burdened you? Answer me. – Micah 6:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (January 26, 2014): Micah 6

I have a friend that struggles with the idea of Christianity. But part of the problem is that when we sit down and talk with each other, often we are talking about very different things. For my friend, Christianity is all about rules. It is about walking in step, and never deviating from the plan. He talks a lot of a church that preaches hate, a church that fears the differences between us. He speaks of a Christianity that is obsessed with hell and preaches of a God that can accept nothing but the unquestioned obedience of an automaton. And I can personally relate with none of these things.

For me, Christianity is about love – a love that crosses boundaries and differences. A love that welcomes everyone to the foot of a Cross where God made the decision to die for his creation. His death was never intended to limit us, it was intended to set us free – a freedom that we could never have known before. Christianity is more about mosaic of some very diverse people than it is about creating an army where everyone is the same. So it is no wonder that in our conversation with each other, often we lose each other. When we say Christian, we mean something very different.

Apparently the same discussion was happening during the time of Micah. And God responds through the prophet. How is it that you feel burdened by me? This has never been about the burden – it is about the freedom that you have found in me. A freedom that released you from slavery and brought you to a place where you could find your future. God refused to force Israel to serve him. And so they ran to other gods – and often these gods sought to bind them rather than free them. They demanded the youth of Israel as a sacrifice to be killed for their limited vision of the nation. And Israel was bound and enslaved – but this was not of God.

God’s freedom was always available to Israel, but often Israel was simply too bound to be able to see the freedom that was theirs for the asking. And when I sit with my friend I see the same thing. God’s promise of freedom is for all – and the diversity of the faith that results is amazing – but it is only available for those who work to see God as he really is. Too many of our friends are blinded by the lies of Christianity, missing the freedom. But we really are free. If only the world could see that truth.

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Micah 7

No comments:

Post a Comment