Sunday 22 September 2013

But King David replied to Araunah, “No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing.” – 1 Chronicles 21:24


Today’s Scripture Reading (September 22, 2013): 1 Chronicles 21

At the beginning of the summer I read an article from MSN Money on the worst charities. Worst Charities by definition are the ones with the least money going to fulfill the aims of the charity. For the top ten charities listed, nine gave less than 10% of the money raised to fulfill the stated goals of the charity. For some, reports like this one are enough to stop the giving. And yet I am also convinced that that is not the way that we are designed to live. We are designed to share what we have worked hard to obtain. It is simply part of the human condition.

I love to watch parents as they come into the church and give offering to their kids so that they can learn to give.  We did the same with our kids.  The desire is to teach our children the blessing of giving.  There is a feeling that just can’t be duplicated that is found in giving what is yours to a good cause or to help someone outside of yourself. The feeling can be addictive – and we want to get our kids addicted to the idea of giving as early as we can.

But I know sometimes we fail. Sometimes we just get them addicted to giving away what costs them nothing.  I have to admit, that is the question that is on my mind when I see a celebrity supporting a charity. Sometime I wish I could talk with them – I know that you want me to support this charity, but is it getting more from you than just your words.  I am not asking if you can carry the charity – but are you giving to the charity what has cost you – or is it just your words and image that you are giving away?

I think David was addicted.  And when a sacrifice was needed – he was unwilling to go back to his childhood and sacrifice what was not his.  If it was his sacrifice – it had to me more than just words or actions – it had to cost him something.

Are you sacrificing what has cost you – or are you just going through the motions, sacrificing what has cost you nothing?  As a pastor, I believe that I have to lead in the area of giving.  But so do you.  Can I encourage you to get addicted to giving today?

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Chronicles 22

No comments:

Post a Comment