Wednesday 13 February 2013

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. – Psalm 19:14


Today’s Scripture Reading (February 13, 2013): Psalm 19

Back when I was a kid I drove an old Ford Fairlaine. It was a great car. And I had a secret weapon – something that every guy wants in the car that he drives. If someone was following me that I did not like, all I had to do was step on the gas and this blue smoke would pour out of the exhaust pipe and I soon would not be able to see them anymore – and they would not see me. It gave a new meaning to phrase “eat my dust.” This was the car that if I had the opportunity to drive it for more than an hour, I would have to pullover at a service station and refill the oil in the engine. I used to joke to people that when I pulled into a service station I had them fill the oil and check the gas. A while later I finally got a different car. But I have to admit that for the first little while I had this irresistible urge to pull over and check the oil even with my new vehicle. My Ford had trained me well that to drive a car meant frequently checking the oil.   

I have been challenged recently on the idea that my words are the basis for my faith, but my actions reveal the level of my trust. The idea is that my faith can, initially, be largely an intellectual exercise; it is the discovery of what it is that I believe in. But a real faith will eventually journey toward trust. We may start out saying that we have faith in something, but the natural movement is actually always away from faith and into trust. This happens when our actions naturally starts to follow our beliefs and our faith. The reality in our life is that we need both faith and trust – faith in the things that we are discovering about God, but we recognize that a true faith will move into trust.

David sums up this Psalm with these words - May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight – and what he is saying is - God I am placing my faith (the words of my mouth) and my trust (the meditation or action of my heart) in you. And then he describes why in the next few words – because you are my Redeemer. The word is ga’al and it describes the action of God to actively buy us back from the things to which we have given ourselves. David is saying, I recognize your activity in my life – you have redeemed me from all of the things that held my faith and trust during this life. And so I will place my faith (words) and my trust (actions) to you. Ultimately, this is the image that, as Christians, we have of Jesus. He is our Redeemer – the one who has bought us back - and so he is the one in whom we have faith – and in whom that faith is slowly changing into trust.

Slowly, I placed my faith in my new car and finally my trust – which for me meant that I ignored my oil maybe a little too much. But that might be a different story.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Psalm 20 & 21

No comments:

Post a Comment