Monday 26 November 2012

When the soldiers returned to camp, the elders of Israel asked, “Why did the LORD bring defeat upon us today before the Philistines? Let us bring the ark of the LORD’s covenant from Shiloh, so that it may go with us and save us from the hand of our enemies.” – 1 Samuel 4:3


Today’s Scripture Reading (November 26, 2012): 1 Samuel 4

When I was a kid I went out hunting with my Dad and some of his friends. Now, even though I lived in a red neck part of the country, hunting was not part of what we did in my family. We did not even own a gun. But on this day I remember getting up early so that we could meet my Dad’s friends and head out for a day of hunting. I do not even really remember what it was that we were hunting for. But I do remember one animal that we shot.

As we were looking for game to hunt, we came along a fence line. And there was a racket happening from somewhere along the fence line, so we explored the fence until we found the problem. An owl had got caught in the fence. As much as the bird wanted to fly away, it could not move. All it could do was cry out. I remember we tried to free the bird, but it would not let us get close enough to let it go free. Every time we approached the owl it lashed out, as much as it could, at the ones who only wanted to save it. So, finally, we did the humane thing. We shot the owl.

One of my Dad’s friends cut off one of the owls claws and tossed it to me to remember the experience. For a while, I carried that claw with me wherever I went. It became my lucky charm, even though it was not that lucky for the poor owl. For significant occasions, I would often have the owl claw somewhere on my person. I know, as Christian’s we do not believe in luck. But, somehow, it just felt right.

The soldiers had lost the battle, but the war was very much still in doubt. So the soldiers of Israel’s army were looking for something that might be able to turn the battle. They believed that they needed to find a lucky charm, something that would turn the results in their favor. And one of the generals, I think he was called Indiana Joneseth (a great ancestor of our Indiana Jones), decides that he has the answer to the problem. In Shiloh, in the Tabernacle, sat the Ark of the Covenant; the very seat of God. And the seat was not doing anything – other than being God’s seat. What could be luckier than the chair that the Almighty God sits on?

They had totally missed the idea of the Ark of the Covenant. Somehow, they had never been taught about the Holiness of God and that God had said that the Holy of Holies could be entered into only once a year, and then it could be entered only by the High priest. But they did not seem to know any of that. (Besides, in what world does stealing the seat of God sound like a good – or lucky – idea.) But, we still do it. Too often God seems to be nothing more than a lucky charm that will let our battles go our way. Somehow, we have forgotten that we serve a Holy God. He can never be our lucky charm. We serve him – at his pleasure.  

Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 5

No comments:

Post a Comment