Saturday 3 March 2012

And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand.” Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything. – Genesis 14:20


Today’s Scripture Reading (March 3, 2012): Genesis 14

I am a poor judge of what I do, whether it is my writing or speaking or anything else that is the product of my efforts. Too often in the past it has been the efforts that I have struggled with and never felt that I got quite right that has been well received. And the ones that I have worked over and I think that I have right are often the ones that fall short. When I think I am succeeding as a wordsmith, I seem to fail. I am not sure that I really understand why.

Or maybe I do. I have to admit that what I do isn't really about me. In fact, there is nothing that I do that is on the basis of my ability. That I have proved repeatedly. If God isn’t with me, I can’t do anything. And I know that sounds like a cop out, but I have experienced the truth of it. It is not that I can give less than my best effort, but even my best effort will always fall short without God.

It was also something that Abram knew. If he had achieved success, it was because God had allowed it. Everything that Abram had, from his talents, to his possession, to his servants – and it included every member of his fighting force - all of it had been provided by God. And therefore it is God that deserved the thanks. And for Abram, that meant giving God the tithe – ten percent of all of the spoils, a down payment on everything that Abram had. It all belonged to God.

In the contemporary church the idea of the tithe is often questioned. It is considered to be part of the law - and the law has been superseded grace. But the truth is that the tithe isn’t part of the law. The tithe preceded the law. It is simply part of our recognition that everything that we have has been given to us by God. It always has been that way – and it always will. It is the one fact that can never change.

Everything that I have is God’s. I know that. So the tithe is a minimum of what I need to give to God. And so I cheerfully give it, because I know that I am truly blessed.
  
Tomorrow’s Scripture Reading: Genesis 15

No comments:

Post a Comment